Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition

So, I have a question about the "pipping" of the eggs. How loud is it exactly? I'm not doing any candling or anything...just keeping an eye on mama. She's in a dog pen in our garage.

Would this be something I could hear standing over the nest? Or is it just a noise for mama to hear?

Just curious...I think we've got about a week to go before any little one should hatch...

Yep they may be Dayton, I'm sorry if this is the case. If your friend finds it to be true then I'd not only take the eggs but get rid of all traces of nest too. Those girls need to get on with their lives.
hugs.gif
I completely agree. Thank you for the hugs!

And it's still early they can always take a break and try again.
smile.png
Certainly hope so! I know I could use one. This has been with extreme highs and lows. I can't forget Miss Daisy...sitting on 14 viable. Now.....if we can just keep them this way.

I think since this is the girls first hatch maybe they didn't understand temperature too much. We have had very extreme high temps this past few weeks...and the girls continued to sit on them. I wonder if they just cooked em!

Will know more tonight. Tonight is the last night. Win lose or draw.

Certainly hope so! I know I could use one. This has been with extreme highs and lows. I can't forget Miss Daisy...sitting on 14 viable. Now.....if we can just keep them this way.

I think since this is the girls first hatch maybe they didn't understand temperature too much. We have had very extreme high temps this past few weeks...and the girls continued to sit on them. I wonder if they just cooked em!

Will know more tonight. Tonight is the last night. Win lose or draw.
I am sorry I forgot about Miss Daisy, ducklings on the way!!!
wee.gif

So, I have a question about the "pipping" of the eggs. How loud is it exactly? I'm not doing any candling or anything...just keeping an eye on mama. She's in a dog pen in our garage.

Would this be something I could hear standing over the nest? Or is it just a noise for mama to hear?

Just curious...I think we've got about a week to go before any little one should hatch...
Here's a very comprehensive piece on hatching eggs - applies to other breeds as well. Obviously not inucbating - but helpful to know what you are looking at if you candle, pipping, zipping and so on. There are a number of similar well done posts out there. I've listed a couple.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704328/diary-notes-air-cell-detatched-shipped-eggs
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

Here's a very comprehensive piece on hatching eggs - applies to other breeds as well. Obviously not inucbating - but helpful to know what you are looking at if you candle, pipping, zipping and so on. There are a number of similar well done posts out there. I've listed a couple.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704328/diary-notes-air-cell-detatched-shipped-eggs
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

love.gif
love.gif
When I thought all hope was lost we have VICTORY!! Aaaaaaaaaand I can't stop crying!! Came immediately in here to let you all know....ONE is here!! And we shall call him/her Victory.

I am beyond in love...

Momma is hiding her (him?) very much right now. But baby is yellow, fuzzy and dry!! From the bill it looks like a girl. She has a black point on her bill....but I should wait until tomorrow.

More? WHO KNOWS!! But those girls finally had one hatch. I feel blessed beyond words and will celebrate all their hard work. First time mommas...and they got a baby.

I will post pic when they let me see it.

wee.gif
love.gif
love.gif
celebrate.gif

Sometimes there just aren't enough emoticons....LOL

Thank you all for your unending support! Without you I would have surely eff'd this all up!! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!

Back
Top Bottom