Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition

2 ducklings today! 1 KC & 1 RouenxKC
Will get better pics when I can!

You know it is! :)
How long until she brings them out ML? I wanted to try to sex them but no way was I messing with mom. Do you think it will be ok for me to wait til tomorrow or Weds to try? I say Weds just because I will usually allow the moms to continue to sit 2-3 days after hatch, just in case there are any stragglers.

Last edited:

Today 5 are totally out, dry & fluffy. #6 was approaching the finish line!!

Momma Duck did leave her nest for quite some time... I have a feeling there might be a dog crate in their future :(

She left *again*, I herded her back and her babies called her and she went. And then hissed at me like mad, so her mothering instincts are there.

So I see 7 eggs remaining unhatched, might just pull those. 6 is a fantastic hatch IMO! 3 d'lings look much like Rouens, so either those are dark phase KC or RouenxKC. Then 3 are obviously KC, 2 have eye stripes and one does not. I need help! I tried to vent sex them, every single one looks female to me. They are getting active, drinking water but not yet eating.

She left *again*, I herded her back and her babies called her and she went. And then hissed at me like mad, so her mothering instincts are there.

So I see 7 eggs remaining unhatched, might just pull those. 6 is a fantastic hatch IMO! 3 d'lings look much like Rouens, so either those are dark phase KC or RouenxKC. Then 3 are obviously KC, 2 have eye stripes and one does not. I need help! I tried to vent sex them, every single one looks female to me. They are getting active, drinking water but not yet eating.
Sounds exciting, I only tried vent sexing once and it was my goose who I knew was female but haha turned out to be a gander.
hmm.png

LOL. Vent sexing is -*- DIFFICULT -*-!!
All 6 babies look great today, mom's finally sitting & staying put. Looks like they are eating & drinking. I listened to remaining eggs and heard nothing. I couldn't get them out before mom returned so they're still there. Plan is to get them out tonight.

Ok time for strangeness. KC had another dead embryo today, another non absorbed yolk sac but not nearly as large as the last. I'm starting to wonder if she'd stolen the Rouen's eggs? 2 deceased + the 1 broken in the past week. 11 in her nest today, plus the 3= the 14 should have. I don't get the deceased ones. :(

Back
Top Bottom