Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition

what kind of ducks do you have ??

I have greenhead Australian Spotted ducks. Currently I have two mama ducks, six of their adult hens, and two unrelated drakes. The mamas are penned with one drake while the young hens are with another drake in the yard. I had two more hens and a drake but I sold the trio so I can keep some more hen ducklings this year. So far I have one duckling I am keeping because it is a lighter color (you can see it in the lower right corner of my avatar) but I have sold everything else I hatched in the incubator.

Last edited:
I have greenhead Australian Spotted ducks. Currently I have two mama ducks, six of their adult hens, and two unrelated drakes. The mamas are penned with one drake while the young hens are with another drake in the yard. I had two more hens and a drake but I sold the trio so I can keep some more hen ducklings this year. So far I have one duckling I am keeping because it is a lighter color (you can see it in the lower right corner of my avatar) but I have sold everything else I hatched in the incubator.
so these are rare ducks ??

The drake slept with the chickens last night, It was kinda odd to see I have no clue what he was thinking. This morning when I let the duck out she refused to leave the nest
fl.gif
fl.gif
. Great so now I have another dilema how do I kick her out of she refuses to leave the nest lol?
barnie.gif

The drake slept with the chickens last night, It was kinda odd to see I have no clue what he was thinking. This morning when I let the duck out she refused to leave the nest
fl.gif
fl.gif
. Great so now I have another dilema how do I kick her out of she refuses to leave the nest lol?
barnie.gif
I just go in and pick said duck up and very fast with her butt facing away from me get her on the ground. then I close the door if I need to do something in her nest.
wink.png
very important the butt is facing away from you.

I just go in and pick said duck up and very fast with her butt facing away from me get her on the ground. then I close the door if I need to do something in her nest.
wink.png
very important the butt is facing away from you.

Do I have to do this everyday. if she refuses to leave the nest? I think if she doesnt leave by tomorrow ill do it lol....Butt away from me gotcha!!!
lau.gif

Do I have to do this everyday. if she refuses to leave the nest? I think if she doesnt leave by tomorrow ill do it lol....Butt away from me gotcha!!!
lau.gif
only if she just refuses to get up at all, it maybe she has finally laid out and is ready to hunker down today so leave her alone for today, if you notice tomorrow she doesn't get up then yes make her she needs to eat bath and POOP. And since you have never been hit by broody poop before I just wanted to warn you, Oh my goodness not something you want to happen. Hopefully she'll leave on her own as long as no one the flock can get in when she does she'll be a lot more relaxed about doing it.I actually stand guard when my broody comes out, not only from the geese who can't stand a broody anything, also to keep my youngest drake off her. Her mate finally figured it out and is leaving her alone.
roll.png

Last edited:
only if she just refuses to get up at all, it maybe she has finally laid out and is ready to hunker down today so leave her alone for today, if you notice tomorrow she doesn't get up then yes make her she needs to eat bath and POOP. And since you have never been hit by broody poop before I just wanted to warn you, Oh my goodness not something you want to happen. Hopefully she'll leave on her own as long as no one the flock can get in when she does she'll be a lot more relaxed about doing it.I actually stand guard when my broody comes out, not only from the geese who can't stand a broody anything, also to keep my youngest drake off her. Her mate finally figured it out and is leaving her alone.
roll.png

TY TY I usually leave the duck coop open for an hour before I let the chickens out. That way she can do her thing & when she comes back I just shut the door for the rest of the day. I can see her from the kitchen so far she's just sitting there.

TY TY I usually leave the duck coop open for an hour before I let the chickens out. That way she can do her thing & when she comes back I just shut the door for the rest of the day. I can see her from the kitchen so far she's just sitting there.
I bet she is through laying and is serious now about sitting, Have you decided how many eggs your going to let her sit?

Back
Top Bottom