Old fashioned Broody Thread for Ducks

Pics

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16-17
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Just thought it might be nice to see if anyone who is letting mama take care of brooding might like to post her e and ask questions or just share their experience. I have 1 duck [Muscovy] who has hatched out 3 ducklings so far 2 more brooding,. Make sure you tell us the breed of your duck too and of course pics. Things you have learned and things you will do different next time. How easy it was to sell the ducklings or if your planning on keeping them.

Last edited:
Just thought it might be nice to see if anyone who is letting mama take care of brooding might like to post her and ask questions of just share their experience. I have 1 duck [Muscovy] who has hatched out 3 ducklings so far 2 more brooding,. Make sure you tell us the breed of your duck too and of course pics. Things you have learned and things you will do different next time. How easy it was to sell the ducklings or if your planning on keeping them.

Cute! I will post pics next weekend as soon as mine start hatching out! I hope I have good mommas
fl.gif

Well I guess I'm on here by myself for now but had a few more pics of my 2 broodys i had to share the white one is almost 8years old in July and has never been a mama, figured if she wants to be one this year we'll let her have a go at it. Her name is Alice. Then my next one is Ruthann she is 4 years old and has never been a mama, oh they've wanted to be but because we have never been able to find homes for them we never let them brood, but times have changed and more and more folks are realizing how neat it is to have ducks as pets and also for eggs and meat so we're letting them have a few. here they are:

Adorable picture with the babies! and what lovely birds your other hens are.

My experience so far? frustrated lol this is a lot harder than I thought but is also more exciting, i didn't think it would feel as cool to have a live hatch.. kwim?

Anyhow this is Dusty.. this is actually her second go at being a mama, first time 'round she shared with another hen.. that nest ended in two dead ducklings ..

So far it's only produced one baby(thought it was two, I was wrong sigh) .. it's doing very well though, so I am pleased nonetheless

A better shot of Junior, that is what it is named for now lol

I also have Lilly and Lilac sitting but no pics of those ladies right now... Lilly has lost two though .. we found them last night... too early, so i guess something was wrong with them.
hu.gif

What are my plans? I hope to get hens! we desperately need more of them and I would rather use my own vs buying...

Last edited:
Great pics MissLydia ! I can not wait for my ducks to be old enough to breed and brood their own babies. I have 1 pekin female, 7 mallards - I think we have 3 boys and 4 girls, then we have a baby jumbo pekin/rouen mix that I think is a girl but we'll see it was my first time vent sexing.

I have a question. When are ducks mature/old enough to reproduce?

Adorable picture with the babies! and what lovely birds your other hens are.

My experience so far? frustrated lol this is a lot harder than I thought but is also more exciting, i didn't think it would feel as cool to have a live hatch.. kwim?

Anyhow this is Dusty.. this is actually her second go at being a mama, first time 'round she shared with another hen.. that nest ended in two dead ducklings ..

So far it's only produced one baby(thought it was two, I was wrong sigh) .. it's doing very well though, so I am pleased nonetheless

A better shot of Junior, that is what it is named for now lol

I also have Lilly and Lilac sitting but no pics of those ladies right now... Lilly has lost two though .. we found them last night... too early, so i guess something was wrong with them.
hu.gif

What are my plans? I hope to get hens! we desperately need more of them and I would rather use my own vs buying...
Aww hope you get some hens too, thats what we are hoping for with 2 drakes and a gander after the 8 girls. I love Junior adorable..
love.gif

Great pics MissLydia ! I can not wait for my ducks to be old enough to breed and brood their own babies. I have 1 pekin female, 7 mallards - I think we have 3 boys and 4 girls, then we have a baby jumbo pekin/rouen mix that I think is a girl but we'll see it was my first time vent sexing.

I have a question. When are ducks mature/old enough to reproduce?
They can start to lay eggs from 5months on and drakes usually become sexually mature around 6months on, my drakes didn't start mating with his girls till he was 8-9 months old. After they begin to lay and are mating then it's just a awaiting game to see who goes broody first. Keep us updated on when and where.

They can start to lay eggs from 5months on and drakes usually become sexually mature around 6months on, my drakes didn't start mating with his girls till he was 8-9 months old. After they begin to lay and are mating then it's just a awaiting game to see who goes broody first. Keep us updated on when and where.
Thanks for the quick responce. Lets see so Sept 13th-ish my oldest pair of mallards will be 6 months old. This is actually my oldest DD's boy/girl pair she bought for 4-H. The younger 5 are 3 weeks younger and my Pekin is 1 week older. So will ducks breed into the fall/winter? I'm in Wisconsin so we have a very short fall and just about basically go right into winter from summer.

Back
Top Bottom