Old fence panels

Elainethetrader

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2021
Victoria,BC Canada
Hello

Can I use wood panels from our old fence as siding? We want to build a chicken coop and have this old wood around. Or at least use some maybe on roof with metal sheets?

I would repaint and stain them first.

Would free pallets be safe to use?

Or better to purchase new plywood?

Thank you

Hello

Can I use wood panels from our old fence as siding? We want to build a chicken coop and have this old wood around. Or at least use some maybe on roof with metal sheets?

I would repaint and stain them first.

Would free pallets be safe to use?

Or better to purchase new plywood?

Thank you
Welcome to BYC!
You can recycle the fence panels. Especially if you go to the lengths to waterproof them before using them. Consider hanging them horizontally, shingle style.

How large of a coop are you building?

Welcome to BYC!
You can recycle the fence panels. Especially if you go to the lengths to waterproof them before using them. Consider hanging them horizontally, shingle style.

How large of a coop are you building?
Thank you. We want to house 5 chickens, but I've heard they are addicting so might make it big enough for 10 chickens. I measured the panels yesterday. They were 4 feet long.

Would get new plywood for floor, save money using some of these fence panels for siding would be great!

Thank you. We want to house 5 chickens, but I've heard they are addicting so might make it big enough for 10 chickens. I measured the panels yesterday. They were 4 feet long.

Would get new plywood for floor, save money using some of these fence panels for siding would be great!
I'd make the coop 6x8. I know that sounds big for 10 chickens but it gives you some flexibility. You could set your wall studs at 24" on center as well. Look up "advanced wall framing".

Thanks for all the great tip! I looked at the panels again. The are wet and spider webs between them. Not good? I found other wood too. And suggestions?

Attachments

• 20210322_164430_compress81.jpg
    20210322_164430_compress81.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210322_164129_compress20.jpg
    20210322_164129_compress20.jpg
    839.5 KB · Views: 10
They should be able to be wet without rotting, since they're for outdoor fencing. Can you poke it with a screwdriver to see if it's rotted? It doesn't look it to me, so I'd be inclined to use it. The other wood looks like it might be pre-cut or at least a start, for your door frame.

They should be able to be wet without rotting, since they're for outdoor fencing. Can you poke it with a screwdriver to see if it's rotted? It doesn't look it to me, so I'd be inclined to use it. The other wood looks like it might be pre-cut or at least a start, for your door frame.
Sounds great! I'll try it with a screwdriver tomorrow! I'm getting excited, because I also found a whole bunch of really long 4x4 post! It could be good for the run.

Thanks for all the great tip! I looked at the panels again. The are wet and spider webs between them. Not good? I found other wood too. And suggestions?

If they're not rotted they are fine to use; just stand them up in the sun to dry.

Salvaged wood is great. I have a bunch of salvaged wood to be used for my new coop. It's so VERY old (from a collapsed building), that DH doesn't trust it for structural wood, but he's going to use it for all sorts of non-structural purposes.

Back
Top Bottom