Old glass window warms up huddle box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mrs. K, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    We have been bitter cold here, but sunny. - 30 degrees. When I first started with my chickens I put an old black plastic box that used to fit inside a pick up bed. I turned it on its side, and propped the doors open, instant sun porch and wind break. Well three days ago, I found an old window, about the same size and I propped it up in front of the doors. It is surprisingly warmer inside there. The girls love it. Mrs.K

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    What a good idea! We have an unused black truck bed liner- might work to turn it into a huddle area.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Wow, wish we'd had 30 degrees lately. Its been in the single digits. Today was nice though - I believe it got up to 31. Its nice to find warm places for them though, isn't it? Awhile back, while walking my son to school, I noticed someone had put a glass shower door out for curbside pickup. I carried it back home, thinking to use it to make a cold frame. In the meantime, I leaned it against a brick wall and the chooks quickly found that it is nice and warm back behind it when the sun is shining, plus they can keep out of the wind.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    We just warmed up to 30 degrees above today! I think you misread my post, we were 30 degrees BELOW zero, way too cold, but my chickens got through fine,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by