1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Old gqf 1202 wanting to add window

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dasmaus, Jan 13, 2016.

1. dasmaus

dasmaus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2015
    What thickness plexi or lexan would you guys suggest using? Any pics of any moded bators would be great

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Maybe if you posted a picture of your incubator we could better help you. I'm assuming yours has 2 small windows correct?

3. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    The thickness doesn't matter, but if you can rout a narrow groove on both inside and outside of the door around the opening you cut, you can caulk two layers of plexiglass, acrylic or Lexan in to help keep heat in. The plastics don't insulate much, but the air gap between two sealed panes does.

@quintinp, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

The door is a solid slab.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  4. dasmaus

Jul 7, 2015
    Exactly like that one... Mine is like 3rd or 4th hand so I have no idea how old it really is... It originally had wafer thermostat which the last owner had upgraded to the electric gqf therm but it had failed so I redneck ductaped an stc 1000 to it and put it to work.

5. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I have a 1402, it came with the early electronic thermostat with a wafer for backup. This thing is a tank and holds perfect temps. I looked for a clear door for mine but the old ones are discontinued, the new ones are a different size.

You planning on doing something like this? (the one in the middle, not my incubators)

[​IMG]

Here's mine after cleaning and painting and a thermostat upgrade:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  6. dasmaus

Jul 7, 2015
    Yeah I'm aiming for something kinda like that one. Maybe a little taller but the same idea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by