Old hen acting sick. Do anything?

I was able to get Wazine 17 from a local farm supply (wormer) so if she'll drink she's being treated now. She's in a tub in the house. Added it to the whole flock water supply as well. I looked at the vent again. Here's a photo:
I do notice a white build-up at the base of lots of the feathers all over this region. Any idea what that is? It's not feces. You can see two of them in this photo. Anyway does the vent look normal? I'm pulling it apart in the photo.

Okay - so what's the best way to worm quick? I have no worming meds on hand, so what should I get? I do have Iverhart Max tablets for my dog here (ivermectin/pyrantel pamoate/praziquantel).

I wouldn't use Iverhart Max. With 30 birds, it would be easier mixing an appropriate anthelmintic in feed if you don't want to dose each bird. Safeguard liquid labeled for goats should be mixed at .25 oz per 4 lbs of feed. First add .25 oz Safeguard to 1/4 cup of water, mix it well, then add and mix it in 4 lbs of feed thoroughly. I'd do it for 3 days, then do it again in 10-12 days after the last feeding. Safeguard can be found at most feed stores. You could try something like Strike III or Rooster booster Multi-wormer, but Safeguard will go much farther.

Last edited:
I cannot tell from the pic whether or not that is dried urates on the feathers or lice eggs. Urates are like dried white paste and lice eggs are hundreds of small balls clustered at the base of feathers.

Just a note: If one bird has worms or lice then likely the whole flock does. Therefore you must treat the whole flock, and with mites/lice, you will have to prevent bird's access to housing while you remove all litter, clean, and treat floors, roosts, walls, nest boxes, ceiling, cracks and crevices with the appropriate insecticide. Emulsified concentrates generally have a 30 day residual.

I agree with Michael. You can dust them with Sevin or Poultry dust. And Wazine sounds really good then I would wait a week and worm them with Safeguard. They make it for goats and horses. With the horse paste use about the size of a baby pea.

I recently had a hen that died and sent her for a necropsy and she had worms that ate away her intestines. And this was a hen that was wormed regular. Sadly, not wormed for capillaria.

I have 30 chickens as well. I have my system. When they all get closed up and roost for the night, I go around and put my hands on each one to see how their weight is. Probably once a month or more. When I use the liquid Safeguard for goats, I cut up 30 cubes of dry bread and put flat in a dish and put 0.5 ml on each one. Then I let them sit for a while. Then they each get one. If they don't want one, they get it down their throat in the dark!

Thanks for the info. She died shortly ago. Maybe I'll necropsy her tomorrow. I guess it was too late. I like the down the throat in the dark method, Makes me laugh. Thanks,.

Thanks for the info. She died shortly ago. Maybe I'll necropsy her tomorrow. I guess it was too late. I like the down the throat in the dark method, Makes me laugh. Thanks,.
I'm so sorry to hear you lost her. Lots of good info on here though. for the rest of our flocks.

I agree with Michael. You can dust them with Sevin or Poultry dust. And Wazine sounds really good then I would wait a week and worm them with Safeguard. They make it for goats and horses. With the horse paste use about the size of a baby pea.

I recently had a hen that died and sent her for a necropsy and she had worms that ate away her intestines. And this was a hen that was wormed regular. Sadly, not wormed for capillaria.

I have 30 chickens as well. I have my system. When they all get closed up and roost for the night, I go around and put my hands on each one to see how their weight is. Probably once a month or more. When I use the liquid Safeguard for goats, I cut up 30 cubes of dry bread and put flat in a dish and put 0.5 ml on each one. Then I let them sit for a while. Then they each get one. If they don't want one, they get it down their throat in the dark!

Will safe guard kill capillaria worms? I've only used safe guard 1X but i need to order some and want to make sure it will kill them as well. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom