Old hen high-stepping and stumbling

Pics
Just wanted to give an update on Toasty. I don't know if it's the tart cherry extract or the warmer weather or both, but she is doing much better. Her feet are still stiff and lumpy looking but she is not high-stepping and is exploring and walking around a lot more. If it is the weather that is effecting her can we conclude that it is arthritis and not gout?

Also, she looks forward to getting her tart cherry capsules every day and takes them right out of our hands. I have switched to one 3000mg capsule twice a day.

Just wanted to give an update on Toasty. I don't know if it's the tart cherry extract or the warmer weather or both, but she is doing much better. Her feet are still stiff and lumpy looking but she is not high-stepping and is exploring and walking around a lot more. If it is the weather that is effecting her can we conclude that it is arthritis and not gout?

Also, she looks forward to getting her tart cherry capsules every day and takes them right out of our hands. I have switched to one 3000mg capsule twice a day.
Tart Cherry will help with regular arthritis also. It is a joint health supplement.
Gout is also a form of arthritis.

Could try Glucosamine, which is for joint health too. It's also naturally occurring in the joints.

Oh, right, thanks. I'd like to know whether it's regular arthritis or gout since I read that gout can be caused by too much calcium and if it is gout I could switch feed to prevent it from happening to my other hens.
Could be regular arthritis from old age if Tart Cherry Extract hasn't reduced the size of the feet.

What do you feed?

Mainly layer pellets of different brands. Currently Kalmbach 17% layer. She was on chick starter when her problems started in the winter.
Maybe switch everyone over on an All Flock type feed?
Chick feed shouldn't have been the cause, since calcium is lower. It's very much the same as Flock Raiser feed.

Maybe switch everyone over on an All Flock type feed?
Chick feed shouldn't have been the cause, since calcium is lower. It's very much the same as Flock Raiser feed.
I'd love to but All Flock is too expensive. The chick starter is much more affordable and I'm considering going back to mixing layer and chick starter.

I'd love to but All Flock is too expensive. The chick starter is much more affordable and I'm considering going back to mixing layer and chick starter.
Why mix the two? Could just supply oyster shells on the side for the hens to regulate their own calcium intake.

Back
Top Bottom