Old Hen!!!

Chicken gurl

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
Arizona
I have a 6 year old Easter Egger hen who has recently lost a lot of weight, doesn't lay eggs (about 1 every other week, but they break because they are so thin) I know older hens usually show a drop in egg production, but this seems a little off. She feels a lot lighter and doesn't like to be held anymore. My fear is she may have Osteoporosis, and I'm wondering if there is a way to help her.

Older hens have a variety of issues that can come up. Breeds that lay a lot of eggs are considered old at 1-2, as this is when reproductive problems like infections, internal laying, water belly and other conditions can occur. The fact your hen is 6 means she's been doing great!

I would suggest a few things to help her:
Offer a warm, comfortable place to perch. Perhaps a wider area so she doesn't have to balance as much. A heat light can help during the winter.
Don't encourage laying. Don't keep a light on during the night for her as this will only tire out her body more.
Provide oyster shells, vitamins in her water or on her food, and lots of nutrient rich treats like scrambled eggs, she'll love this
Make sure she has easy access to her perch (small steps or a ramp so she doesn't have to jump) and can easily get to her food and water
Make sure the roosters aren't bullying her

You can also keep in mind that hens during the autumn often seem sick as they enter molt. The eggs will be in worse condition, the hens will walk in a tired fashion and be reluctant to come off their perches or run or try to fly. I've thought my hens were dying sometimes they were so uncomfortable during the molt. Once this passes, hopefully your girl will feel better.

Best of luck!

I've tried making things easier for her, but she doesn't believe in using them. She thinks she's a young hen
1f602.png
. She's full of spit and vinegar still. (Attacked my rooster who was a bit full of himself) My big problem is that she hasn't paid ANY eggs in a while and she seems to be dropping weight quickly, but she's still eating normaly.

Back
Top Bottom