Old Lurker but New Memeber to the forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jay13, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Jay13

Jay13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NC
    Hi everyone [​IMG] Just wanted to introduce myself, I've been lurking on the forums for ages now as my husband and I prepare ourselves to become chicken parents. I over study EVERYTHING and have already decided (I think) the breed we are going to go with but no one seems to have much to say about them. We are going with some local "Dominekers" from a local breeder and are busily preparing their housing.

What are things I need to know that no one puts in the books? We are putting up one of those metal shed things to use as a coop and we are in central NC so the weather is pretty mild but does occasionally get down in the teens. We plan on letting the chickens free range in our nearly 1 acre orchard which is fenced in with field fence with hot wires on the outside and poultry netting on the inside. Fortunately, the birds we are buying are out from under brooder lamps now around 12 weeks already.

Of course I already want a ton more birds and turkeys on top of it all and my darling husband wants to take it easy, one breed at a time. Any suggestions?

Jay

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I think that taking it slow the first year is probably best until you get a feel for the care of your birds. Then, all bets are off! The folks here will be pushing birds on you left and right or encouraging you endlessly! [​IMG]

Oh, yeah [​IMG]

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    [​IMG] get on this forum often enough and you will want more and be one of the ones saying can't wait til spring to add to the animals [​IMG]

I have alot of animals I want to add, so I am there with you!
    I don't want to buy any meat from the grocer and dh is up for it as I am [​IMG]

4. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    [​IMG]

You're making such wise descisions already!! Lots of good info and pictures here! Tons of nice people and coop section is awesome!

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad you decided to join! It is a great place to get questions answered quickly. I wish I had found it sooner.

6. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

[​IMG] - glad to have ya [​IMG]

7. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    [​IMG] jay i live about 30 miles NE of Charlotte you will learn alot on here.

Aaron

8. sweetcorn

sweetcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    metal shed things to use as a coop and we are in central NC so the weather is pretty mild but does occasionally get down in the teens.

I have a metal shed as a coop and have already decided after a few weeks of freezing weather and a couple snows that next year I'm going to build a wooden coop. We've had problems with the metal doors freezing in the track and condensation on the inside of the metal roof . Just wanted to give you a heads up on that if you haven't bought the shed yet. They aren't the best for cold weather. [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC too ! [​IMG]

9. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Don't feel all by yourself i been lurking and just joined too [​IMG]

[​IMG] I have found so many things here it's hard to get away from the computer [​IMG]

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I want to get some Dominiques... I like their other name, Dominikers too [​IMG] Of course, a lot of people just call em Doms also [​IMG] Such lovely big chooks [​IMG] You should get some Buff something or others so you can cross them for some Crele-lookin birds [​IMG] That's MY plan anyhow.... LOL

Your DH is in trouble now... LOL Just tell him resistance is futile [​IMG] You'll have more breeds and turkeys in no time [​IMG] hehehe How can you not? LOL

Welcome to the addiction [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by