Old Roosters, fertility and behavior questions

rcentner

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Le Roy, NY
So I have now owned chickens long enough that I have old hens and roosters. This makes me think about a lot of things.

I wonder -
Are roosters fertile longer than 3 years? Does the fertility just decrease or stop all together?
Do the old roosters become less concerned with flock ranking and mating? or do they still mate like they used to?

Funny how after I realized that my phoenix hen is now too old and we wont be able to hatch anymore of her offspring cause we wont have any eggs from her and that made me think about how old all my birds are. I have a few young ones but a lot of geriatric chickens too!

Just wondering how the aging roosters will affect the mentality in the flock, will he step down and let the younger ones take over? or will he always be #1 rooster. I have noticed that my phoenix roo and my wyandotte roo have been more aggressive toward eachother (they have always hated eachother)

sooner or later a young roo will take him down.....just the nature of things...... not sure about fertility, if he's still mating i would think he's fine!!!!!!

well, I have had all my roosters together for 3 years so I seriously doubt that all of a sudden they are gonna start killing eachother.
anyone have any ideas as far as my questions?

Back
Top Bottom