Old Seed Finally Bites me in the Buttocks

I also keep old seeds. I have to admit to not storing in a cold space like the fridge.
I planted 10 year old tomato seeds last year. I expected low germination. I was wrong! I was giving plants to anyone that would take them.
This year bugs ate my bean seeds before they could sprout. :(
I have replanted in seed pots. I know, I know....beans don't transplant well. If 50% take I will be happy.
I didn’t think beans transplanted well either but my neighbor Bernie gave me a half dozen Romano bean starts about 8” tall and they are doing just fine!
In thinking of starting them in pots or trays next year because my biggest problem with them is when that little green shoot first breaks ground the birds pull them out. Covering them is just one more chore I don’t want to do!

Last edited:
I didn’t think beans transplanted well either but my neighbor Bernie gave me a half dozen Romano bean starts about 8” tall and they are doing just fine!
In thinking of starting them in pots or trays next year because my biggest problem with them is when that little green shoot first breaks ground the birds pull them out. Covering them is just one more chore I don’t want to do!

Videos of folks in Britain has lots of them showing starting sweet peas in gutters and sliding the whole soil piece into a trench. It works over there for peas so anything is worth trying.....including beans and corn in pots.

All but one bean sprouted so I will be transplanting n the next day or two.

Videos of folks in Britain has lots of them showing starting sweet peas in gutters and sliding the whole soil piece into a trench. It works over there for peas so anything is worth trying.....including beans and corn in pots.

All but one bean sprouted so I will be transplanting n the next day or two.
I’m going to have to look that one up!

Back
Top Bottom