Old Wives Tales on Sexing day old chicks - Kid's Science project - help w/ more myths?

I won't be the spoiler for your daughter's science project. I will say that even in the early 30's we paid 1 cent per chick to get them vent sexed; so to be certain if any of the old tales actually worked my grandfather or father would have known about it.

Some I am listing do hold validity and have an asterisk next to them:

1). Temperature: running the incubator .5 degree too low say at 99f means more pullets and .5 degrees higher means more cockerels.*

1A) Weather: During the hatch if barometric pressure is frequently low the hatch will favor pullets if the barometric pressure is high frequently the hatch will favor cockerels. "If you have a lot of rain you'll get pullets if you get a lot of sun you'll get a lot of cockerels." (old farmer's saying)*

2). Holding a steel ring ties to a string above the chick's head. If it moves in a circle it's a pullet if it moves side to side it's a cockerel. This theory is based on magnetic attraction.

3). Hold the chick upside down by it's legs, if it flaps to upright itself it's a pullet, if it just hangs there it's a cockerel.

4). Pick up the chick by the back skin of the neck (remember this is how a brood hen picks up her chicks to move them much like a cat) if it lifts its legs it's a pullet, if the legs just hang there it's a cockerel.

5). Lay the chick on its back in the palm of your hand, if it stops kicking it's a pullet, if it continues to kick it's a cockerel.

6). In some pure breeds like Dominiques down color sexing is possible as the cockerels tend to have yellow or white spots on their head also the down under the wings is lighter in the cockerel and darker in the pullets. These are subtle changes that require an experienced eye to notice the color differences.*

7). The egg shape was mentioned with pointed eggs being cockerels and the blunt, round eggs being pullets.

8). Head sexing: Looking at the chick "head on" the head that appears boxy and square is a cockerel and the head shape that is more round or oval is a pullet.

9). Noise Sexing: While observing the chick, clap your hands loudly above their head, a cockerel will stretch and extend his head and chirp and a pullet will crouch down or try to hide.

10). Leg Sexing: A cockerel's legs and toes tend to be bigger and thicker than the pullet. This again requires an experienced eye.*

11). Water Sexing: Take to small 8 oz trays of water, one plain water and one with the water and 1 tsp of white vinegar. Cockerels will only drink the plain water pullets will greedily go after the vinegar water.

Good Luck!

JA

I won't be the spoiler for your daughter's science project. I will say that even in the early 30's we paid 1 cent per chick to get them vent sexed; so to be certain if any of the old tales actually worked my grandfather or father would have known about it.

Some I am listing do hold validity and have an asterisk next to them:

1A) Weather: During the hatch if barometric pressure is frequently low the hatch will favor pullets if the barometric pressure is high frequently the hatch will favor cockerels. "If you have a lot of rain you'll get pullets if you get a lot of sun you'll get a lot of cockerels." (old farmer's saying)*

I sure hope so! It's done nothing but rain since I put these eggs in the incubator!

Last edited:
Well Galanie your daughter has a start on proving or attempting to disprove one of the tales! Good Luck and lots of pullets!

Last edited:
can you tell the difference in older birds by their eye color? my rooster has a clear ring around that black dot in the eye, ALL my hens have yellowish brown ring. I never even looked at they eye color before till i noticed it yesterday (wouldn't work on day olds because they have dark blackish eyes)

what type of chick is it if they try to eat it?

Needle and Thread - dangle the needle over your chick ... if it moves around and around it is a female, if it swings back and forth it is male - this is supposed to work for both chicks and eggs

In that case, it would be one of mine. I.E. all stomach no brains.

Thank you for all the ideas and responses. It helped add to the list of ideas for my daughter to consider how and if gender can be visually determined at a few days old.

My daughter picked out the chicks she could tell apart and decided to test four things:
  1. primary wing feather length (longer=pullet, shorter= cockerel) She is recording the number of mm from the fuzz to the tip of the first feather.
  2. laying the chick in the palm of her hand (rest=Pullet, squirm=cockerel)
  3. holding up a chick by the torso and watching what it does with its legs (legs up=cockerel, legs hang =pullet)
  4. foot feathering (lighter = pullet vs. heavier = cockerel) She is recording if the chick has feathers on 1,2,3+ toes. The more toes w/feathers, the heavier.

Based on her first round of data, out of the 10 chicks she is recording, she guesses we have 6 pullets and 4 cockerels. We have a few other chicks, but she can't tell them apart well enough to use in the study without leg bands.

Back
Top Bottom