Old Wobbly Hen

sloop2

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
San Jose, CA
We have an old barred rock who over the last few weeks has been a bit listless but still joining the group to eat and sleep just slower than usual. She is at least 5 years old (not absolutly sure as we got her from a friend) and hasn't laid for over a year now but is still one of our girls. The other day while running to get her food goodies, she kind of tripped and stumbled. Today she looks like a drunk with wobbly legs etc.. but still eating very well. She looks totally healthy except for her unsteady behavior. The others are all fine, they get a varied diet and roam around the yard all day, plenty of fresh water etc... It almost looks neurological but not being any kind of expert I'm stumped. I do know that all of our birds were vaccinated as chicks so I'm guessing that Mereks is probably not the problem... There are no signs of injury or trauma and she is basically keeping up with the others despite her problem...Any suggestions?

Thank you

Sounds to me like there is some internal problem, something medical, maybe a small stroke or heart failure, could be so many things.

try giving her some vitamin B12 and Vit. E has been found to "cure" leg paralysis in hens, it worked for mine. I also a a two year old suddenly unable to walk, seemed fine otherwise. I looked it up here and found it to be a common problem, vitamin deficiencies(spelling?). Maybe as they get older they need a little more, anyway my hen is now fine and back with the flock. It took a week of giving her vitamin B12 in her food and she gegan to stand, then walked with difficulty, but by day 8/9 she was walking again and has been back to normal ever since. You may want to separate her from the others, until she gets better, goood luck

Back
Top Bottom