Older 1202 GQF Bator Temp. Question

spowell

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
Rocky Point, NC
Hi, I'm new to the using an incubator. I purchased a 1202 GQF Bator, It's and older cabinet model with 3 turners and a hatch tray in the bottom. I have had a hard time keeping the temp steady, so I called GQF to see if I needed to replace any parts. One of the first questions he asked is where i had the thermometer placed and I told him at egg level. I was told that the thermometer was to be placed at the top in the hole where it reads the temp coming out of the heater. Well, I thought that the eggs are to be at 99.5. If I set the therm at the top where the heat comes out at 99.5 the temp at the top of the eggs is 97.2. Can someone please clarify this for me? I am using two digital thermometers if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for your reply.

With my GQFs I use 2 thermometers one at the top and one at the bottom. The temps fluctuate between top and bottom. So I run the top a little warm at about 101° on the top shelf or so and the bottom of the bator is 99°. That's what works for me. And I always get over 90% hatches. A lot of people do not like the temp differences but it keeps hatching healthy chicks... I use a GQF separate hatcher and just keep my thermmometers at egg level in it.
48894_img_20110514_163439.jpg

Thank You!!! You have releived my worry. I was scared to death that I had cooked them or was freezing them now.
barnie.gif
This is my first attemp at hatching eggs so im a wreck anyway! Although
celebrate.gif
I just candled some 5day eggs and I see blood vessles!!!
celebrate.gif
I think you have the same bator I have except I'm not lucky enough to have the Acrylic door yet. That's my next purchase. I cannot stand not being able to see whats going on. Thank You again, and for the pics.

Your welcome! Mine are so easy to hatch in its just great! I don't know what mine are they have the electronic thermostat and wafer. I bought them used for $230 each with the clear doors I have another incubator that I'm not using right now. And I love them.
You shouldn't have a problem with hatching in yours!
smile.png

Quote:
The incubator is a model 1266 and the hatcher is a 1270. Mine had the catalog that they ordered them from with receipts in 1995. They were sold as a set for hatching ostrich, emu's and rheas back when people were going crazy and thinking they were going to get rich raising them. They came with the acrylic doors as part of the kit and came with several other thing including one of the Cooper thermometer/ hydrometers that I posted the link for.

Quote:
you can borrow one of these to calibrate the thermometers you have if you want to. The nicer one I have has 4 probes so you can hook it up to 2 incubators at once and see temp and humidity of both.

Quote:
The incubator is a model 1266 and the hatcher is a 1270. Mine had the catalog that they ordered them from with receipts in 1995. They were sold as a set for hatching ostrich, emu's and rheas back when people were going crazy and thinking they were going to get rich raising them. They came with the acrylic doors as part of the kit and came with several other thing including one of the Cooper thermometer/ hydrometers that I posted the link for.

Cool thanks! The guy said he used them for emus. An he said he didn't get rich raising them which is why I have them
smile.png
! I'm glad I now know what they are though. Lucky you got the catalog with yours!

Last edited:
They used them once and bought the ostrich eggs for a very high price and didn't hatch any of them. so they gave up and store them away. The round thermometer was 20 degrees out of calibration so that explains the no hatch. They never even put a battery in the cooper

Back
Top Bottom