Older Cat Questions-Updated Pg 3!!!!!

Baloo went into the vet today and yes they found that his major issue currently was major dehydration.. they are keeping him overnight on IV fluids to rehydrate him and he is coming home tomorrow evening. I spoke at length with vet over condition.. they did all blood work and testing on him. It is his kidneys' and the CRF. WE discussed most effective care for him and since his last serious bout over a year and half ago his blood levels and kidney function is about the same maybe a hair worse than that time. She stated the biggest issue for him is quality of life and fluids to help flush his system would be a good way to go. So tomorrow I am being schooled on the SQ fluids that I will need to give him every couple days for awhile until he gets up to a maintenance level and then we back off the fluids.. I am not nervous about this due to having a goat herd and being somewhat efficient in giving SQ shots to goats in addition to various other medical maintenance. We also discussed the food controversey and that most cats do not like the prescription diets including the moist food and the vet aggreed that there is no right answer as to the protein/phosphorous debate now even though she reported that through her continued studies they promote the lower protein/phospherous.. she agreed to the extent that it may not be right because cats being carnivores naturally a major change in diet/restriction is not necessarily good either. so in essence she agreed at this time and in his condition that he should just eat whatever he enjoys eating and maintain him with the fluids.. she also checked out his mouth as I understand ulcers can pose problems.. she said for his age (nearly 13) his teeth looked very good. no ulcers or nothing. I also discussed a case she mentioned about a woman who had a cat she treated with CRF that was in much worse condition and as vet she would have euthanized but woman said no and moved to the raw diet and now cat is doing amazingly well over a year later.. not sure how to even get started in this but may consider.. is there any good raw formulas or sites to get started on this? anyway I pick Baloo up tomorrow and hoping he will cooperate with me until we get the hang of this SQ fluid.. don't have much cooperation in my house so I will be pulling nursing duties myself.

Glad to hear that you are on top of his condition.
clap.gif
For your vet!! Sounds like she knows what she's talking about!!! Just remember through all of this, that HE will tell you when he's had enough...
hugs.gif
Good luck to you and Baloo!!!

Back
Top Bottom