1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Older chicken getting pick on

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jmw77, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Jmw77

Jmw77 New Egg

Aug 4, 2015
    I have a chicken that getting pick on from a rooster and idia why[​IMG]

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Is it a hen that the rooster is picking on? He's probably trying to breed her. Also how many hens do you have? 1 Rooster can breed 10 hens. If he has less than 5 hens he will probably be mean to his girls over breeding them. Roosters will try to breed as many hens as they can.

3. Jmw77

Jmw77 New Egg

Aug 4, 2015
    We have two rooster and 20
    Hens

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you have a need for fertile eggs to sell or hatch?? Otherwise it's not necessary to have any roosters at all. Hens will continue to lay just as many eggs without one, tho they will be infertile. Roosters may give the warning if they see predators but, they aren't going to hold the fort. Either they run with the hens or the predators take them out first.

Is this a recent thing or has the rooster been picking on her from the start? You could try getting "pinless peepers," for him. They prevent the bird from seeing straight ahead which throws their aim off. It will give him something else to think about and he may leave your hen alone.

But "pinless peepers," in the search box to learn more about them.

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

You've received some good information and advice so I'll just say hello!

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by