Older chicken lethargic and drooling.

csqrd2002

Chirping
Jun 28, 2021
Hi. I adopted 5 chickens when we bought our house. A couple were 3 yo. Fast forward a year and one of my older ones has been lethargic for a few days and drooling today. She was a TS purchase from what the previous owner told me. No idea what her breed or exact age is. She’s extremely thin. She has foraged a little in the last few days and drank water. No injuries on inspection. I’ve massaged her crop as well as checked for an impacted egg. No signs there. I have her quarantined with vitamin water and food. I don’t know what to do. Any ideas?

Have you checked her crop the first thing in the morning before she has ate or drank anything?
I haven’t. But she never came out of the coop this morning at all. I found her in the “poop hammock” standing bc apparently she fell out of the perch I placed her on last night(she was laying down on the coop floor and I put up her up).

Have you checked her crop the first thing in the morning before she has ate or drank anything?
I haven’t. But she never came out of the coop this morning at all. I found her in the “poop hammock” standing bc apparently she fell out of the perch I placed her on last night(she was laying down on the coop floor and I put up her up).

Hi. I adopted 5 chickens when we bought our house. A couple were 3 yo. Fast forward a year and one of my older ones has been lethargic for a few days and drooling today. She was a TS purchase from what the previous owner told me. No idea what her breed or exact age is. She’s extremely thin. She has foraged a little in the last few days and drank water. No injuries on inspection. I’ve massaged her crop as well as checked for an impacted egg. No signs there. I have her quarantined with vitamin water and food. I don’t know what to do. Any ideas?
Added info as I’ve watched her through the day-she has tried to poop but it basically liquid. Still lethargic. Drool is a tad bit cloudy and does not smell great at all.

The drooling and smell make me wonder if she has sour crop. Sour crop will make them act lethargic. I would separate her so she does not get picked on by the other chickens and check her crop first thing in the morning to see if it is emptying overnight as it should.

The drooling and smell make me wonder if she has sour crop. Sour crop will make them act lethargic. I would separate her so she does not get picked on by the other chickens and check her crop first thing in the morning to see if it is emptying overnight as it should.
I will. She’s in a kennel in the garage for safe and cool keeping. I hope she makes it through the night. What are the treatments for SC? I have ACV and can add that, but I don’t know if anything else.

Sour crop can be challenging to treat. I have lost some to it and had others completely recover. Sometimes it can be a symptom of an underlying problem like a reproductive disorder that is not treatable.

The last one I successfully treated for sour crop, I fed a mixture of plain yogurt and olive oil and massaged the crop a minimum of twice a day.

What does her crop feel like now? Does it feel like a water balloon?

Sour crop can be challenging to treat. I have lost some to it and had others completely recover. Sometimes it can be a symptom of an underlying problem like a reproductive disorder that is not treatable.

The last one I successfully treated for sour crop, I fed a mixture of plain yogurt and olive oil and massaged the crop a minimum of twice a day.

What does her crop feel like now? Does it feel like a water balloon?
Her crop is not full at all. I still massage it multiple times a day though. She’s done this before a few months ago and a good massage a couple time a day fixed her back up. I don’t think she’s laying anymore and hasn’t laid since we’ve adopted her. I just want her to be comfortable and if it’s something I can conquer I’d like to try.

It could very well be a reproductive problem. Chickens are highly prone to cancer of the reproductive system. I have lost many to it over the years. Most of them have been in the 3 to 4 year old age range and high production breeds. Sadly, nothing can be done to save them.

Hopefully, yours is a different issue. If you have access to a vet you could try that. Some people will try antiobiotics purchased over the counter such as fish medicines in an attempt to treat the illness.

Best of luck! I hope she is able to recover. I have had some really surprise me over the years.

Back
Top Bottom