Older Chicks Developing Crooked Toe - Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CajunPeeps, Sep 29, 2014.

1. CajunPeeps

CajunPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    White Castle, LA
    I have 2 chicks that have developed crooked toe. Neither chick showed any signs of this until they were about 8 weeks old. I am new to chickens so I thought maybe I just missed it with the first one, but now I don't think so. The first one is a blrw rooster. He is now 4 months old. His outer toes on both feet turn outward. It does not seem to bother him. I did not try to fix since I figured I was too late. Today, I noticed my 8 week old buff brahma rooster has toes crooked on both feet. It is his two middle toes and one outer toe. I know for a fact his toes have not been like this. I have had him from a day old. His toes have only been like this a few days. What could be causing this? Is there anything I can do? Back in July, when I first got the chicks, they were on regular starter/grower. 2 weeks after getting them, they developed cocci. After this, I switched them to the medicated starter/grower. I also moved them to a wire brooder(similiar to a rabbit cage). I had read that chicks were less likely to develop cocci. I also give them ACV a week out of the month and nutri drench a week out the month. This brooder is rather large. I have been leaving the chicks in it until about 8-9 weeks old before they move to the coop. Out of 40 chicks, they are the only too that have developed crooked toes. The brahma is also rather large. I was always amazed at how large he was. He is growing like a weed. Are these two birds crooked toes related? Am I doing something wrong? I wanted to breed the brahma so this is upsetting. He is gorgeous. I also noticed today that, he is unsteady on his feet so I think the toes may be making it hard for him to keep his balance since he is so large. He seems healthy otherwise.

2. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I don't have the answer either but like to know.
    I have 2 unrelated roosters who have this.Both seem normal full grown over a year old more like 2 healthy. One is the alpha roo..as he's English and big... but I too wonder why..incubating? Diet?Why both males?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by