older chicks/pullets going outside

Mine started out with a temp under the cave of 82.9 degrees. They thrived. I don't know why I was thinking that you weren't in an area warmer than we are here...duh, Diane! Ask location first is a cardinal rule when discussing topics like this and I blew it.

Lol Not a problem! You aren't supposed to remember everything or to ask everything! I'm just making sure it would work for our area. I'm thinking an inexpensive plastic bowl with an inverted - long - U cut out for the opening in place of wire. Would be sturdy and not squash anyone. And you could cut off part of the lip at an angle on the opposite side of the U side to make it taper. You know those cheapo Tupperware knock offs that would be easy enough to cut. Different sized bowls for different sized birds. Structurally sound, would allow good heat transfer. Possible? Have that inside a smaller cage. We have lots of old cages we could use the sides of them to further enclose them until they are larger. Old ferret cages, rat cages, dog crates. Oh, a large rat wheel! Many of the wheels are just metal "bowls" that could come off the stand and be used as the structure.

Oh I've got it! Clay flower pots would be awesome. They really hold on to heat and there are all sorts of shapes that would work. Low bowls. Easy to remove an opening to create the entrance. Did it for a fish breeder in a tank, created a door. Would transfer and hold heat the best I think. Very easily shaped and shaved for fit. I'm liking that one the best so far. Take a traditional shaped one, lay it on it's side. Naturally tapers toward the back. A couple rocks under the side would keep it from rolling around.

Last edited:
Something like this Different shapes, less severe angles I like the more "natural" materials.

different sizes and shapes. Throw a heating pad over it and some straw. Should be good. Could add straw inside too of course. Awww, I'm getting excited to try this.

Last edited:
And one more and I'll stop.

plastic ones: Cut a hole in the side to lay upside down . Could cut out the whole side for the entrance. Different sizes depending on needs. I thnk it will transfer heat well. Just another thought. Getting too sleepy to think. Good night all!

Last edited:
I don't see why that wouldn't work. Personally I still prefer the wire frame, but people are using all kinds of things quite successfully. I like the frame because the pad drapes so beautifully all the way down the sides to the floor, it's flexible so I can change the shape, angle from front to back, and because the spaces in the fencing means they can cuddle right up against the openings where the pad shows through if they are chilly, especially early on when they are really tiny. Some plastics can begin to off-gas when they get warm this way with constant, direct heat applied hour after hour and day after day - and I don't want that around my chicks.

I think that if the flower pot you chose can get heat close enough to the babies, it might well work. But heat 6-8 inches above their heads might not warm them sufficiently, although the clay would do a great job of holding heat. You would also want some kind of an awning that hangs down in front that they can scoot under and that keeps it nice and dark inside. Hmmmm Guess this choice is exactly as it should be - totally yours and what will work in your situation.
wink.png
My theory is always to keep it simple, and it doesn't get much simpler than a wire frame, a heating pad, a towel and some straw.

I agree with the simple. Hadn't thought about off gassing of plastics. Just the east of using what may be available. The clay pots come in so many different shapes and sizes and really cheap usually that I think it would be easy to find the right shape. The thing I like about that is you can find a good fit and they do hold heat. Add straw for insulation would also be good to hold heat in. For people who aren't crafty or have someone who is, may be a quick, easy set up. Especially iin the interim. I think the heating pads could easily mold as well. I'm going to have to look around and see what chain, wire and cloth we have here! whoohoo! Project!

You might also check out aart's thread...I didn't know until after I'd started mine that he had this setup. Simple oven rack with some mods made. Brilliant.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/862691/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate

And I do apologize to the OP for hijacking this thread...it was totally unintentional, but it was still not polite. Monkcat, we may want to move this discussion over to my other thread as a courtesy.

Very informative thread! Thanks for posting everyone.

It's time to evict our 12 to their coop. Our Buffs and Wellies are 5+ weeks old today. The hens are fully feathered but the roosters are in that delightfully funny 'rubber chicken' phase of their feathering where they look scruffy and pathetic but they have out grown their brooder and the add on cage I set up two weeks ago to give them more room.

They are big healthy, robust youngsters and they are starting to pick on one another not to mention turning into little poop machines that make keeping them clean mission impossible given their tight confines.

They will have plenty of room in their coop which is built like Fort Knox, off the ground three feet, heavy wood construction with locking hasp closures on every door.

Question. We are going to have a few nights this next week where the temp is going to dip down in the high thirties. I'm using two louvered shutters for ventilation on the front of the coop. How much should I cover up on the shutters to give them ample ventilation and keep the draft off of them? When the summer temps are in place the shutters will help them keep cool and ventilate but being so young and not use to outdoor temps, I'm worried that too much air on them will bring on problems and not enough will do the same. We are planning to use a heat lamp at night for them just until the temps level out a bit.

Thanks!

Microchick

This is not EXACTLY it, but very close. Found it at Wal-Mart. It is smaller than this one and has squares rather than the rectangles. Also the part that hooks over the cabinet is not higher than the edge of the basket. So, I buried it in the chick tub. Put bedding inside it on the "floor." Used the heating pad and actually hooked it under the hooks. Holds it securely. Did the press and seal trick over a hand towel and covered it. Got the sunbeam heating pad at CVS for way cheaper than Amazon which was weird. The chicks were freaked out and wouldn't go in for a good 30 minutes. I had turned the light off and I know they were getting cool. We are inside in a 70-something temp room. I kept putting them one by one when they seemed cold into the "den". They would run out. They are in a room that is a sun room. So natural light. As it got dusk, I herded them gently toward it. They tried getting on it, beside it and finally started going in it. As it was almost dark, they were all in, and a peep here and there and then silence. Can hear occasional rustling. Fingers crossed! Hoping by the end of the week, they will be outside.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom