Older duck with leg issues

Kaylamariah

Hatching
Apr 24, 2022
Hello, my mom has two ducks that are about 5-6 years old and about two weeks ago, one of them stopped walking and her hip/haunches are really bony and pushing up in her wings. My educated guess has been it's a bad niacin deficiency but I'm not really sure. For about 5 days now we have been giving her a lot of peas, hydro-hen and we just started to give her niacin to her feed today and we put her in a small kiddie pool to try and get her legs moving and to help clean her off because she has been having trouble staying clean.

She is eating and drinking just fine and shows an interest in treats so I don't think she is sick. But I'm also newer to ducks (raising my own thanks to all the posts here for almost two years) but I told her I'd post to see if anyone has any ideas on what might be wrong with her sweet Yogurt. She also is using her wings to walk so we've contained her to a dog kennel to help limit movement but we let her out on the grass to get some sunshine and space.
20220802_125241.jpg

20220802_125239.jpg

20220802_123954.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, my mom has two ducks that are about 5-6 years old and about two weeks ago, one of them stopped walking and her hip/haunches are really bony and pushing up in her wings. My educated guess has been it's a bad niacin deficiency but I'm not really sure. For about 5 days now we have been giving her a lot of peas, hydro-hen and we just started to give her niacin to her feed today and we put her in a small kiddie pool to try and get her legs moving and to help clean her off because she has been having trouble staying clean.

She is eating and drinking just fine and shows an interest in treats so I don't think she is sick. But I'm also newer to ducks (raising my own thanks to all the posts here for almost two years) but I told her I'd post to see if anyone has any ideas on what might be wrong with her sweet Yogurt. She also is using her wings to walk so we've contained her to a dog kennel to help limit movement but we let her out on the grass to get some sunshine and space.
View attachment 3209701
View attachment 3209705
View attachment 3209706
It could be niacin. But have you ruled out anything else, like an injury? Like chickens, ducks can hide their pain very well.

Back
Top Bottom