Older EE's

Backyard Buddies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Orange County, CA
What is your experience with older EE's? Do yours continue to lay as they get older like some breeds do, or do yours quit? At what age?

I have three girls, 2 RIR and 1 EE who were hatched in March 2006. This past May and June, all three girls were laying 4 - 6 eggs a week.

The 1st week of July, the EE laid 4 eggs and the RIRs each laid 6.

The 2nd and 3rd weeks of July, the EE laid 3 & 4 eggs a week, one RIR contined to lay 4 - 5, and the second one started laying soft eggs. She has never laid a normal one since, laying either soft shelled or misshapen shells except during the period when she molted when she laid none at all.

The 4th week of July, the EE stopped laying altogether and has never laid an egg since. She did molt, but regrew all of her feathers quite some time ago.

The first RIR slowed a little, but didn't stop laying until she molted in October. She didn't lay for 6 weeks but has now resumed.

The one RIR with the soft eggs likely has reproductive issues but the EE has me stumped. She was never as good of a layer as the RIRs, but no eggs at all for almost 18 weeks???

My EE is 3 years old and went on strike about eh same time, she went thru a really hard moult about a month and a half ago.

She didn't start laying again until i added an extra heat light to the coop....dunno if this was why she started laying again or not.

I also have a 2 year old EE that did the same thing.

Maybe it's just the change in weather for yours?

We just got two 2 year old EE's. I was wondering about what I could expect from them. The guy told us they were good layers. But they were in the middle of their molt when we got them. They are now fully feathered and we have gotten one light blue egg this past week. And that is it so far. That was during a real warm spell - near 70. Now we are down in the teens.

Thanks for offering your experience crzychickenlady and Barn Maid Ann. It is much appreciated! So, for each of you, it was extra warmth that made the difference? Here in So. Cal, our warmest season is typically in the months of Sept. to early November - so days are still in the 70s right now with nights in the 50s.

Did either of you add extra protein along with the heat or make any additional changes?

She tends to be a slow molter, shedding feathers, growing them back, shedding in another area, growing them back. But, she's had all of her feathers back for some time now.

Elsie is in good health in all ways but she's just not laying eggs. Just an hour ago, she came inside and sat in my son's lap while watching TV. He really
love.gif
's his girl!

I got four hens from a nice BYC member in Arkansas, two young and two older EEs. I have gotten one white egg, I am supposing from one of the older hens, as none of my hens lay white. So one egg a month is fine, they are real cuties, and are finally assimilating into the flock.

Cheri

Back
Top Bottom