Older Feed Toss or Use as a Supplement

I use Country Companion layer crumbles. It's readily available here and the hens seem to do well on it. My hens hate pellets but love crumbles. Are your hens partial to one type? I agree with the wet feed idea too. My hens love wet feed

You know what, this may sound awful but, I don't know how they feel about pellets vs crumbles. I just started buying pellets and noticed the feed was being wasted much less. It's not all over the ground like the crumble was. I need to look into this as a possibility in their feed preferences. They did start out on Flock Raiser as chicks so maybe that's why they seem to prefer that familiar taste. Personally, I love the smell of Nutrena feed, but I can't comment on the taste. Nutrena also comes to a mash easier, but I'm guessing a crumble of any brand will make an easier mash. I definitely have a few things to think about and look in to. Thank you for your reply

There is another option.

What this feed has lost in 6 months is the vitamin potency. Fertrell makes a product called Poultry Booster. It is intended for mixing with products that have lost effectiveness of the vitamins. It isn't a complete vitamin premix but contains those vitamins that lose potency like A, D, E and some B vitamins. It also has a lot of probiotics in it. Mineral content should diminish. There may be a breakdown of some of the amino acids as well.
The following link has product labels for their products. The Poultry Booster is the third one down. It comes in 3.5 lb. bags.
https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/3471920/Poultry-Nutribalancers-And-Booster-Pack.pdfIt is really potent so I would probably call before you use it but I'm guessing about 1/8 lb. to your 25 lbs. of feed. Since you have pellets, I would probably mix it with the pellets and ferment it so you can get it mixed well.
There are Fertrell outlets in Marshville, Gold Hill and New London.

Last edited:
It will be less expensive and easier to pitch that bag of aging feed, rather than buying another product to try and 'doctor it up'.
I would just get rid of it, and not worry about it.
My flock has been eating Flock Raiser for a very long time, and it's worked very well here.
Chickens do hate change, and were't pleased when i tried other feeds for them. I have the yellow plastic feeders from Premier, and there's less billing out of the crumbles, which helps too.
IMG_0427 (1).JPG This size holds about eleven pounds of feed, and hangs up easily, and is inexpensive.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom