Older hen all the suddenly can't hardly walk

pwand

Songster
12 Years
Sep 10, 2007
BC Canada
I have a 7 year old hen about three days ago could hardly walk. She seems to want to eat and drink to some degree. She seems so alert. I assume that maybe its age and its her time. My husband is going to try to put her down for our fist time. How hard to think about this. Its for the best, I know. I was wondering what anybody's thoughts are on why a hen would suddenly not be able to walk. thanks.

I had an older hen that had the same symptoms. I kept her around for a long time as she was one of my favorites and didn't seem to be in pain. I would sometimes carry her to nice patches in the pasture. I know that is beyond what most people would do. In the end I had her put down. Sorry to hear about your hen.

Thanks for replying, My husband put her down. He is taking it really hard, first time we put one down. She was one of my favorite. I have one other one that is 7yrs old, they were our very first chickens we ever had.

I'm so sorry. I know it must be a difficult thing to do. We're new to chickens and I dread this part of being a pet owner. ((Hugs)) to you and your DH.

Back
Top Bottom