Older Hen Is Looking Odd

Does she look like she'll survive, though? Should I get her to a vet? Did she get in a fight? Or is it just old age? šŸ˜Ÿ (I'm sorry about all the questions. I'm worried about her.)

Does she look like she'll survive, though? Should I get her to a vet? Did she get in a fight? Or is it just old age? šŸ˜Ÿ (I'm sorry about all the questions. I'm worried about her.)
Questions are good, but I would find a avian vet to help I don't know what is wrong with her. I haven't had a case like this before...

I'm not allowed to say where I live on the Internet, sorry. Thank you for asking.
Aside from vets, do you have any ideas of what could be up with the hen? And if it does seem like sickness, what sickness?

I'm thinking Blackhead disease (histomoniasis) is an important poultry disease that affects turkeys, chickens, and game birds such as partridges, pheasants, and quail. The disease is caused by the protozoa Histomonas meleagridis, tiny, single-celled organisms that are spread to the bird by the roundworm Heterakis gallinarum.

Is it life-threatening for chickens? Or contagious? If it's contagious, is it contagious to humans as well? Should I take her to the vet?

Not contagious to humans.
How is blackhead controlled by management?
  1. prevention of exposure by quarantine or isolation, especially avoiding any contact with chickens or game birds, and.
  2. use of migration barriers to prevent commingling of infected birds with uninfected birds.
It IS contagious to other chickens so I would quarantine it

Okay... is it life threatening to them, though?

Also, is that definitely the problem, or could it be something else?

Back
Top Bottom