Older Hen Is Looking Odd

Sorry, I can't answer all of these, but I'll try.

She's very old. I don't know how old, but the age is why I'm worried. I'm scared she's on her last legs.

We've never worried about worms much before, because no chickens in our coop have really shown many symptoms of sickness.

An extra calcium feed. I don't remember the name. I'll go check soon.

Two roosters. One is a small Silkie, very harmless, while the other is a big Rhode Island Red. He can be aggressive with humans, but he's very gentle with his hens and tends to leave all the others alone.

Her crop looked rough and gray. We didn't touch it, we were just at the coop to check on the ducklings, who'd just moved to it.

I haven't specially seen her poop. Also, it's probably in the coop. Again, when I noticed what she looked like, we were just watching the ducklings.

A while ago. My dad found one last broken, mushy-shelled egg. Nearly a year ago now.

Please tell me if any of that seems like something is wrong!

I got the picture in. How does she look?
chicken.jpg

Does she look like she'll survive, though? Should I get her to a vet? Did she get in a fight? Or is it just old age? 😟 (I'm sorry about all the questions. I'm worried about her.)

Does she look like she'll survive, though? Should I get her to a vet? Did she get in a fight? Or is it just old age? 😟 (I'm sorry about all the questions. I'm worried about her.)
Questions are good, but I would find a avian vet to help I don't know what is wrong with her. I haven't had a case like this before...

I'm not allowed to say where I live on the Internet, sorry. Thank you for asking.
Aside from vets, do you have any ideas of what could be up with the hen? And if it does seem like sickness, what sickness?

I'm thinking Blackhead disease (histomoniasis) is an important poultry disease that affects turkeys, chickens, and game birds such as partridges, pheasants, and quail. The disease is caused by the protozoa Histomonas meleagridis, tiny, single-celled organisms that are spread to the bird by the roundworm Heterakis gallinarum.

Back
Top Bottom