Older hen lethargic, tipsy tail feathers droopy - update

Quote:
perhaps I was unclear... the only thing I cook is the oatmeal ...i then add enough feed to the oatmeal to that it sticks together somewhat (is "clumpy" ) but is not a solid block that the birds will have to really peck at to loosen. oh dear I have to reboot my puter ... (updates) will be back in a bit.

no, it was me. I was in a hurry on the way to work. You said what you meant. Now I read it as, you microwaved the oatmeal until it was gooey, then topped it with their feed and anything else you wanted them to eat. Sounds like what I did, except that I have a pan to wash.
hmm.png

Last edited:
probably a few things going on at the same time... I imagine they need to be wormed (go with a broad spectrum wormer) >that might be the reason for the yellowish poos .
... get a good general supplement like avia charge 2000 (you can purchase online from McMurry) to ensure against deficiencies (when a bird is ill or has worms then malabsorption to one degree is present and this will cause shellless or soft eggs too)

Last edited:
I think the only thing to do now is more research and make sure my other girls are as healthy as they can be. Thank you for your posts, I really appreciate it. I'd post a group hug smilie if there was one
smile.png

here you go!
grouphug.gif

If you find out anything definitive, let us know!

ETA -
lau.gif
Diana! We couldn't have planned that better. exact same minute.

Last edited:
I edited my post with a couple of nice articles on factors affecting shell quality...
... lol on the huggies

I think she had BLACKHEAD DISEASE. I know that chickens are generally more resitant to this and usually only turkeys die from this diesease, but still the symtoms fit. I went through the same thing with my first chicken
sad.png
I got a hen and a rooster and they were both pretty young. However a few months after the hen started acting weird. At first she would just lay down all day instead of scratching around as she would normally do. Her wings were droppy and she would have difficulty standing up. She lacked balance and her poop was yellow and watery. She would eat little and only because i would practically feed her. She lasted less than aweek once the symptoms started appearing before she passed away. The rooster was fine though (thanks god). i think this was probably due to the fact that most chickens are resistant to blackhead disease but anyways yeah thats what i think was the cause.

http://www.millerhatcheries.com/Information/Diseases/blackhead_disease.htm

unfortunately alot of symptoms for many diseases are exactly the same and only a necropsy can definitively answer the question of cause of death (and only then if a full scala of histological testing is done )....
A chicken s immune system is totally dependent on their nutrition and their ability to absorb the nutrition from their feed. When a chicken is cold or heat stressed or stressed it will eat and drink less ... all its efforts go into keeping it cool or warm... this affects their nutritional status which in turn affects their immune systym. When on top of that (subclinical ) disease or worms are additional stressors on the birds system then they can go downhill quite quickly.
http://poultry-health.com/fora/inthelth/hoerr01.htm
(Intestinal Integrity and the Impact of Losing It)

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm104
(Interrelationship of
excerpt:
"....Stress: Its Effect on Nutrition and Immunity
Anyone wishing to understand the interrelation between nutrition and immunity has to also understand that the stress response in the bird has an important influence on the above interrelationship. A three-way interrelationship exists among stress, nutrition and immunity and it is because of this that this paper emphasizes all three of these important factors that influence overall poultry performance.

The word stress means different things to different people and because of this, stress has been difficult to define. Stress is brought about by stress-producing factors, called stressors. It is important to be able to distinguish between a stressor and stress. Stress is the nonspecific response that the body of an animal has to any demand made upon it. An animal is under stress when it has to make extreme functional, structural, behavioral, or immunological adjustments to cope with adverse aspects of its environment (Curtis, 1983). A natural environment is composed of various potentially hostile stressors. Animals that are able to cope with the stressors to which they are exposed are those that will perform best in stressful situations. In nature, stress is the rule not the exception--after all, complete freedom from stress is death (Selye, 1973). Survival depends on the severity, duration, and interaction of the environmental stressors and the animal's physiological and behavioral ability to respond and adapt to them (Harvey et al., 1984). Once an animal perceives a stressor, its immediate response is usually behavioral (Friend an Dellmeier, 1986). It will tend to move away from the unpleasant stimulus. Depending on the severity and nature of the stressor, the autonomic nervous system responds, followed by a neuroendocrine response. These biological responses can eliminate or reduce the potential effects of the stressor by changing either the animal's relationship to the stressor or its perception of the stressor. If these responses are not successful, a pathological state may be induced that can result in decreased performance or a disease state.

Many of the problems in the poultry industry today are a direct result of the bird having to cope with one or a combination of stressors in the environment. Poor management is one of the greatest causes of stress in all types of poultry. The exposure to disease agents, poor nutrition and exposure to immunosuppressive agents also contribute to reduced performance. Poultry must be managed correctly in order to minimize the effects of stress on their performance and health. Successful identification and correction of problems in the poultry house and in the diet will benefit the bird. This paper will review some of the nutritional factors related to stress in poultry...."

ETA:
Remember your basic supportive care:
1)If your bird is ill during times of cold or heat stress adress that environmental factor
2) A bird will die of dehydration quicker than what is causing it to be ill (most quick weight loss in birds is caused by dehydration > when a bird is ill they stop drinking)
3) Give a good general daily formulation supplement like AviaCharge 2000 > you can give a supplement to this if needed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom