Older hen not well..thinking Internal Laying/EYP..also not clearing crop

The purple comb most likely indicates low blood oxygen levels. If she isnt struggling to breathe, its most likely major organ function rather than a respiratory problem. The swollen back end kinda confirms this. The swelling is likely fluid retention from organ failure. The heart is a main culprit, but not always. The fluid can also be putting pressure on organs causing a never ending cycle, as well as pain and suffering. The pain can add to her acting sickly and not wanting to eat too. You can drain the fluid and it should give her some relief. Looks can be deceiving. It may seem like it's not alot, but a few cups or more of fluid could be hidden in there. Especially if the pressure is going backwards into her body cavity and organs, as opposed to bulging visually outside of the body.

Sadly, one of my three year old ISA Brown hens is not doing well. She has been very lethargic for three days now. Sometimes, she sits, but mostly she just stands hunched up, head down, eyes closed. Her comb is purple at the tips and back end, she won't eat, but she will drink. The problem is her crop is no longer clearing. The last time her crop was clear in the morning was Thursday. Her vent is clear, but the feathers beneath the vent are covered in a very messy poop, and a yellowish stinky mess. It smell horrible. It's only on the feathers, not on the skin. No lice or mites visible. She has not laid an egg since last fall, but I have seen her in the nests as though she is laying. Her abdomen is firm, and her butt end feels like a rock, not at all like the others. I wouldn't say it is terribly swollen though, so I don't think ascites at this point. I'm not expecting much really. I know she is older for a high production hen, and it may just be her time, due to any number of reproductive issues.

Any thoughts of what I might try to help her as much as I can? I realize the answer may just be to consider ending her life, since I know she is likely in pain. It's hard to see them go through this stuff, even if they are "just a chicken".
I'm sorry about your hen.
If you feel she's suffering, then it would be a kindness to put her out of her misery.
Cervical dislocation is an efficient method.

Sounds like she's having reproductive difficulties. Sadly most hens decline, but if you want to give it a try, then clean her up and begin treating her crop problem. See that she's staying hydrated. It's up to you to determine how much more she can take.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I know its really hard but I would suggest putting her down, You can mix 500mg of tylenol with 200mg of valerian root if you don't want to do it with the hatchet. Just force it down her throat and she will pass peacefully.
Have you personally used this method to euthanize a grown hen? If so, how long did it take for her to expire?

I'm sorry about your hen.
If you feel she's suffering, then it would be a kindness to put her out of her misery.
Cervical dislocation is an efficient method.

Sounds like she's having reproductive difficulties. Sadly most hens decline, but if you want to give it a try, then clean her up and begin treating her crop problem. See that she's staying hydrated. It's up to you to determine how much more she can take.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Have you personally used this method to euthanize a grown hen? If so, how long did it take for her to expire?
I did use it, it took about 20 minutes because she was asleep for a while

the feathers beneath the vent are covered in a very messy poop, and a yellowish stinky mess. It smell horrible. It's only on the feathers, not on the skin. No lice or mites visible. She has not laid an egg since last fall, but I have seen her in the nests as though she is laying. Her abdomen is firm, and her butt end feels like a rock, not at all like the others. I wouldn't say it is terribly swollen though, so I don't think ascites at this point. I'm not expecting much really. I know she is older for a high production hen, and it may just be her time, due to any number of reproductive issues.
For me, everything you describe points to EYP and sadly, high production hybrids are prone to this and there is no cure: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=egg+yolk+peritonitis+necropsy&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images

Here is a picture I took of her just a few minutes ago. She's alert here, but only because the others were also in the coop making a lot of noise, and I opened the door...squeak....

Attachments

• IMG_1867.jpeg
    IMG_1867.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 11
Of the four original ISA Brown hens I started with, I have two left, who are both just over three years old. One died at a year old, and I put another one down last year due to similar issues as this latest hen. The other 6 hens are all just over a year old, and mix of other breeds. I have heard that ISA Brown hens don't usually live as long as other breeds, and usually succumb to reproductive issues often, and earlier than others. I'm not saying there isn't something wrong with my setup environmentally, but I don't know what it would be. I do occasionally give them meal worms, and I do sometimes let them free range with supervision. I have a lot of hawks and even bald eagles, so I don't let them free range. Water is changed out daily. They have plenty of oyster shell (free choice) and grit available.
Ok, so it sounds like they have very limited access to free range. When was the last time they went out and have you noticed any other issues with her before the 3 days ago, such as weight loss, puffed up feathers, hen off to the side sitting by herself etc?

Has the existing run been wet from rain over the past few weeks, etc?

If you would like to treat her, there are some possibilities of what it could be, such as obstruction (full or partial), sour crop and lost motility, as well as some others.

Treatment will really depend on what level you are comfortable with etc. I should also ask if you have a farm vet that you work with in your area? They can be very helpful for diagnosis and perscriptions that can work extremely well.

If you are treating her, as a minimum of care, I would keep her warm as you are doing, and offer her vitamin/electrolyte and a sugar water mix. You can offer her a liquid paste of her food, in addition to a Tbsp of plain greek yogurt as well. Orego Stim is also great to have on hand. For critical care food, I have had great luck with this product https://emeraid.com/vet/emeraid-omnivore/

If you go further with treatment, it is likely she may need some of the following until she can be diagnosed:

-Her crop needs to be emptied. I personally prefer the vet do this, as there is a risk of her aspirating the fluid if done incorrectly.

-After emptying the crop, either you or vet will need to observe how it feels then, and in the morning. Please note that sometimes a vet cannot feel an obstruction, even though one is present. I had a 7 week old chick swallow a binder clip, which was later only detected through xray.
She is thriving now, but if left in place, full obstruction would have likely occurred, and possibly zinc poisioning. In your case, an xray may be helpful as well.
In the morning, she should be on a liquid diet (noted above is one that works great). You can then see if motility starts to improve.

-Crop motility - medications from the vet can be used to re-start the system.

-Antibiotics including clavamox pills and SMZ TMP liquid can be used with high success for infections, but will need prescription. I personally have had great success with these and they were precribed by the most advanced medical center in my location. My Brown Chicky cleared up within days of treatment and recovered from something similar to what you describe to live until almost 6, when a bobcat got her.

-Fluid from the crop can be cultured for yeast - Nystatin is often used to reduce if sour crop is detected.

-Ideally, she would get some sub-q fluids to help her feel better, maintain hydration and stabilize her. I prefer the vet do this, but it depends on how skilled you are/level of committment etc.

-They can also provide pain meds, if she is in pain.

Again you have to decide what's best for you and your situation, but don't feel pressure.

Last edited:
Her crop is the size of a baseball today..and she vomits liquid whenever she pecks at the ground.
Ok, It is sounding more to me like obstruction and loss of motility, but could also be sour crop and resulting loss of motility.

If you treat her, the goal would be to get that motiity back and her functioning normally again.

If you have a farm vet nearby and it is obstruction of the crop, crop surgeries are quick (about 15 min) and have great success rates. The stitches used also dissolve on their own. They would likely give metacam and sucralfate for any pain/ease of swallowing during recovery.
Some people do these surgeries themselves, but I don't really recommend that for a number of reasons, unless you are highly experienced and have done these with a medical professional before.

Ok, It is sounding more to me like obstruction and loss of motility, but could also be sour crop and resulting loss of motility.
I'm not sure this is a crop obstruction. I really do believe this is something internal. She has been leaking wet, yellow gunk out of her vent, which stinks terribly. It's an orange color, and very liquid. It's not yolk. I mentioned she had not laid an egg since last fall, but that isn't entirely true. I did find a couple of broken soft shell eggs under where she roosts. This was a couple of weeks ago. I'm certain they are from her.

She was acting totally normal until last Wednesday, when this started. Otherwise..I have seen her in the nesting boxes daily, like she is trying to lay an egg, but never does. She then comes off the nest acting like she just laid one. I have seen this go on for months.

I'm not sure this is a crop obstruction. I really do believe this is something internal. She has been leaking wet, yellow gunk out of her vent, which stinks terribly. It's an orange color, and very liquid. It's not yolk. I mentioned she had not laid an egg since last fall, but that isn't entirely true. I did find a couple of broken soft shell eggs under where she roosts. This was a couple of weeks ago. I'm certain they are from her.

She was acting totally normal until last Wednesday, when this started. Otherwise..I have seen her in the nesting boxes daily, like she is trying to lay an egg, but never does. She then comes off the nest acting like she just laid one. I have seen this go on for months.
This sounds like vent gleet? I think I have dealt with it once.

Back
Top Bottom