Older hen not well

A scrambled or hard boiled egg, some tuna and/or some sardines may provide some needed protein & amino acids until you can get her some vitamins. If you give her tuna or sardines, I suggest using the ones that are packed in oil, the extra calories could do her some good. Duck waddling or Penguin prancing usually means egg bound, but since she's not been laying for a long time... I just don't know.
Ok I’ll give her some first thing tomorrow morning.

She has a definite waddle. I did give her some salmon though that she loved. Any ideas on anything else that could help her?
Check her crop every morning before she eats/drinks to make sure that is emptying.
I've found that a lot of my hens that have suffered with reproductive issues also ended up with crop problems. With mine, I encourage them to eat/drink. (enticements are egg, yogurt (about 1 teaspoon), fish, watermelon) I usually direct dose them with vitamins a couple of times a week. A lot depends on how they act - if they are alert, fairly active, can eat/drink on their own, then I just monitor them. I treat symptoms as they arise (mainly any crop problems). Once they start to decline, I might try again to see if they will rally, but you can tell a lot of times when it's their time.

I'm so sorry, I wish I had better answers for you and that I knew of a way to help more. Reproductive problems are common in hens and it's heartbreaking.

Check her crop every morning before she eats/drinks to make sure that is emptying.
I've found that a lot of my hens that have suffered with reproductive issues also ended up with crop problems. With mine, I encourage them to eat/drink. (enticements are egg, yogurt (about 1 teaspoon), fish, watermelon) I usually direct dose them with vitamins a couple of times a week. A lot depends on how they act - if they are alert, fairly active, can eat/drink on their own, then I just monitor them. I treat symptoms as they arise (mainly any crop problems). Once they start to decline, I might try again to see if they will rally, but you can tell a lot of times when it's their time.

I'm so sorry, I wish I had better answers for you and that I knew of a way to help more. Reproductive problems are common in hens and it's heartbreaking.
Ok thank you. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom