Older Hen, Ready to Cull?

northernchickenlady

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2023
Hi there! New to the chicken world and I was to preface this by I am a neurotic chicken/pet owner. I always want the best for my chickens and often times stress myself out for no reason 😅 Looking for advice for the following:
I have 1 or 2 older ladies (unsure of age, previous owner wasn’t sure and I didn’t mean buying a flock with a couple free loaders). Over our cold Canadian winter I’ve noticed one of the ladies is having a harder time this winter. She has been brought inside for a couple days to see if she would perk up (which she did a bit, still eating and drinking super well). She has been treated for external and internal parasites. Currently the whole flock is being treated by an antibiotic from our veterinary for a respiratory illness. I noticed today some of her neck feathers looked like they have been plucked out (no blood) and noticed one of my hens was bullying her (I intervened). I don’t want her to suffer all winter but I was hoping to keep her until spring and if she hasn’t come around I was going to cull her so I don’t prolong her suffering. I just wanted her to enjoy the nice weather one more time you know? My question is, am I just dragging this along and should I cull her before spring? I don’t want to prolong her suffering but don’t want to see her go. I’m going to wait to see how she feels once the one week of antibiotics are done. What are your thoughts or is there more I can do?

Well, in the end it is your decision, but if she were mine and appearing to enjoy life I would try to give her one more spring/summer. :welcome
Thank you for your response! That’s what I’m thinking but I’m worried about the other hens pecking on her in the mean time.

Older birds can't do winter. She's most likely just too cold. My old lady, who is 11.5, gets cold if it goes below 60 and needs to spend winters in my house, but she's happy and eats like a piggy.

Older birds can't do winter. She's most likely just too cold. My old lady, who is 11.5, gets cold if it goes below 60 and needs to spend winters in my house, but she's happy and eats like a piggy.
Oh wow! How beautiful to have a chicken for that long <3 they have a heat lamp on now for the chilly temps. Our home isn’t set up to have chickens long term. Hopefully next year we’ll build a garage so I can keep her there.

Oh wow! How beautiful to have a chicken for that long <3 they have a heat lamp on now for the chilly temps. Our home isn’t set up to have chickens long term. Hopefully next year we’ll build a garage so I can keep her there.
Cozy heaters are also great. They are a panel heater specifically designed for coops. The cords are wrapped in wire to protect them. They come with a stand so you can use that or hang them on the wall. They have two settings 100 and 200 watt.

My question is, am I just dragging this along and should I cull her before spring?
I think that depends on whether you can provide what she needs between now and spring.

If she can live safely and happily until spring, then that is a reasonable thing to choose.
But if you cannot find a way for her to be safe and reasonably happy (not bullied, etc), then culling soon might be the kinder thing.

So it really comes down to details that no-one but you can really be sure about.

Back
Top Bottom