Older Hen Started Sleeping in Nesting Box

LizzzK

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2021
I have a Black Australorp that started sleeping in the nesting boxes. The nesting boxes are filthy and whoever is laying eggs is leaving them on the coop floor. She's about 6 - 7 years old (yeah, I know....I'm going to start keeping a notebook). I assume it's because she can't jump up to the roost or more likely it hurts to jump down (I saw her slightly limping for a few days). The main roost is probably 24 - 26 inches high. So yesterday I made a small roost that's a foot off the ground (less if you measure from the think layer of wood shavings. I took out the plastic bins I have in the nesting boxes to soak and clean. She's not going onto the new, low roost. Any suggestions? And now I'm also concerned that the other chickens might hurt themselves jumping down from the roost if they land on the base of the low roost.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your coop set-up?

Does your BA still lay eggs? She may be starting to have some reproductive issues. I would feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid, look her over really well for lice/mites and see that she doesn't have any injury to the legs/feet (bottom of feet too).
For me, anytime I have a hen that stops roosting they have had reproductive issues. It seems to be painful for them to balance/roost - likely puts pressure on their abdomen. If she's not using the new low roost, take it out. Make her a nice comfy place in the corner of the coop for her to sleep. Keep the bedding fresh and clean for her.

If the jump is a problem, you might try building her a little ramp up to the roost? Like you, I've always assumed it was a strength thing. I've never considered the possibility of the roost itself being uncomfortable, but next time I'll be checking for that too.

Shes getting up there in years and aging chickens can have many difficulties same as aging humans.
Assuming she is otherwise healthy with no medical issues or physical injuries, she may just be getting worn out. Joint issues or just flat tired etc. Think of Grandma with her walker.
If she is medically and physically healthy and seems otherwise happy (feeding drinking, active, etc) i say let her roost there. Just be sure to keep the boxes clean and comfortable for her.

If she losing quality of life, it may be on the not so distant future to consider euthanasia.

Back
Top Bottom