Older hen with possible bumblefoot

TheBeardie

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Florida
I noticed this on my production red. It's on the top of her foot. It's been raining every afternoon for the last couple weeks and I've been trying to keep the night time pens dry and hay filled. I have tylan 50 if needed. Hope you guys can help.

Attachments

• received_1320846884700247.jpeg
    received_1320846884700247.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 13
It looks like Bumblefoot. (Is it just on top?)

Since it's on top, I would try soaking in Epsom salt water. Clean well, then apply some clear iodine to the scab -cover the whole scab. Repeat the next day. Then with tweezers see if the scab will pull out with the core attached. I would wrap the foot to keep it clean/dry. Once you get the core out, apply Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment.

Another option would be soaking daily in Tricide Neo for 5-7minutes 2x a day.
Mix Tricide Neo at 1/2Tablespoon per 2quarts of distilled water (the mixture is good for 5days, then make new). After soaking, dry well, apply Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment. You can wrap the foot if you wish.

I would try either method, before attempting to "cut". Since the location is easy to monitor, hopefully you will start to see results in several days once you start treatment.

Keep us posted.

Yes I believe it's just the top of her foot. I have to go get more feed and hay tomorrow so I'll get some clear iodine and some wraps while out.

I got the wrap, but, I couldn't findo any clear iodine.is this kind ok?
received_1321458094639126.jpeg

When I wrap should I put a gauze pad or a cotton ball on it or anything?

The Povidone Iodine would be good for soaking/cleansing the foot, but the clear or decolorized iodine will help the scab and plug to come out.

I would go ahead and start the soaking - you can use what you bought to add to the soaking water. Dry, apply some triple antibiotic ointment, then wrap the foot. You can put a gauze pad, then secure with vet wrap. The scab may come off after you soak for a day or so, but what you want is to get the core (plug) out. That is the infection or what some people call the "bumble". You may still be able to dig around a little with tweezers and squeeze a bit to see if you can get any out.

Bumblefoot is basically an infection caused by the staphylococcus bacteria (staph infection), so wear gloves.

You may have to go to Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. to find clear iodine.

50428394076.jpg

I live in a small town, it's about 20 minutes to the feed store. It's almost an hour to the closest Wal-mart or Cvs. I'll try to get to one of those in the next few days. I had her soaking in a epsom salt and povidone iodine water, then wiped her foot with the iodine, let her foot dry, and put triple antibiotic ointment on it. I put gauze in between her toes and wrapped in vet wrap.
received_1321535161298086.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom