Older hen - wry neck?

cgreese

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 21, 2016
Good afternoon, I went to let my girls out this morning and one of my original girls - around 6 years old - was in the floor of the coop. She was alive, but could not stand or walk. I immediately picked her up and her neck flailed backwards and then downwards. I brought her inside, immediately gave her electrolytes. She was alive and would swallow as I fed her the electrolytes with a syringe. I covered her in a towel in a quiet room. I heard her flopping around, so I ran in there, thinking the electrolytes were kicking in. But she immediately straightened her legs out to the side, held her head up and it almost looked like she was having a seizure. She shook for 5 seconds or so, then died. :( I have no idea what happened to her. Is it normal for older hens like her to get wry neck? Could this have been anything else? I am worried about the rest of my flock. Any thoughts and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The causes of Wry neck are the following,

a genetic disorder,
a vitamin E deficiency,
a head injury,
or from ingesting toxins

The symptoms you described sound like it could (could not is) be Newcastle Disease however completely paralyzed is only one symptom of Newcastle so I wouldn’t think it’s likely she had it.
The other main symptoms of Newcastle are the following,

.sneezing.
.nasal discharge.
.coughing.
.greenish, watery diarrhea.
.depression.
.muscular tremors.
.drooping wings.
complete paralysis.

Another one would be Marek's disease
Symptoms of this disease are,

.Paralysis of legs, wings and neck.
.Loss of weight.
.Grey iris or irregular pupil.
.Vision impairment.
.Skin around feather follicles raised and roughened.

Those are the only things I can think of, I hope this information will help you make a proper diagnosis. And I am very sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom