grey br
chicksat1month007.jpg

grey br
chicksat1month008.jpg

australop
chicksat1month009.jpg

turken (roo )
chicksat1month018.jpg

correct me if im wrong on breeds .. so far lol ... (think the grey color versus the black color means diff sex ? or diff breed there feet are same color and all have single combs .. )

The lighter (gray) barred rocks are males. The darker barred rocks are females. The black ones look like my austrolorps except the 2nd one looks like it has a black comb -- I don't know what that would mean.

Looks to me like the barred ones may be plymouth rocks.

Woops! I'm sorry, I missed the point of the post. I thought you were asking what breed they are! There is no difference between Barred and Plymouth Rocks. A Barred Rock is a shortened name for Barred Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock is the breed, Barred rock is the color. Sometimes they are just referred to as rocks.

Again, sorry!

Last edited:
my three month old australop has a black comb lol i had four in her group all there combs were yellow or yellow and black except one so i think its normal .. ??

whats the difference in barred and plymouth rocks ..?

I feel certain all those Barred rocks are roosters, just some a couple days older than the others. The leg color and comb development at 4 weeks usually indicate Roo.

2, 4, and 5 look like barrd rocks. 2 looks like a roo 4 & 5 look like hens. 3 on the other hand looks like a barred rock but it has a white patch on the under part of its neck and chest.... so maybe a cross between a australop/barred rock..? the reason i say is cause, the first and last chick have the same white streak and if you got them from the same person maybe they mixed somewhere and thats how you got the white in the #3 chick. i think you have the australop and the turken correct though unless the chicks you think are australops are some other variation of the barred rock and australop cross? IDK just something to think about.....
hu.gif
:confused:

Last edited:
these chicks are all from murray mcmuray hatchery .. so arent mixed chicks .. hatchery quality .. but not mixed .. ?

Here was my barred rock roo: See how his whites stripes are broader? This makes him look more grey.
105833_animal_pics_012.jpg

Here is my pullet: Her black stripes are broader, makingher look more black. This is pretty much the standard for this breed. Roo is lighter and hen is darker.
105833_animal_pics_013.jpg

Back
Top Bottom