Older now, can you tell the breed?

babyrnlc

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Tulsa, Ok
These are the chicks we got from the pullet bins at Atwoods (come from Ideal Hatchery). 3 of them were from assorted heavies pullets and three were from assorted pullets. We want to keep 4 of these and want the best layers. We will not be breeding, no roos! We just want eggs.

#1 from the assorted pullet.
julia-1.jpg

julia-2.jpg

julia-3.jpg

#2 from the assorted pullets. (Was told from the clerk maybe a golden sex link)
goldie-1.jpg

goldie-2.jpg

goldie-3.jpg

#3 from the assorted heavy pullets.
dottie-1.jpg

dottie-2.jpg

dottie-3.jpg

#4 from the assorted heavy pullets.
cindy-1.jpg

cindy-2.jpg

cindy-3.jpg

#5 and 6. One was from the assorted heavies and the other from the assortes, but they look to be the same, maybe. There werer some guesses on these and soemthing to do with the color of the feet. They are blackish with yellowish bottoms. I inculded pictures.
beauty-blacky-1.jpg

beauty-blacky-3.jpg

beauty-blacky-4.jpg

beauty-blacky-5.jpg

Thank you!

Quote:
Which one is the RIR? (The golden one?)

I assume the black sex links are the two black ones. Ok, if I read right black sex links are a mix of BR and BA? Is that right? If so they should be good layers right?

Are the rest EE? Including the black and white one. Earlier I was told she was a mottled ancona or something else mottled?

As you can tell I am pretty clueless about chicken breeds

1 - Brown Leghorn
2 - RIR or Red Sex-Link
3 - no clue
4 - Golden Laced Wyandotte
5-6 - maybe Jersey Giant, Australorp or Minorca - is one wider-bodied and one slim, or do they both look the same?

You don't have any Easter Eggers in that bunch.
smile.png

Quote:
Which one is the RIR? (The golden one?)

I assume the black sex links are the two black ones. Ok, if I read right black sex links are a mix of BR and BA? Is that right? If so they should be good layers right?

Are the rest EE? Including the black and white one. Earlier I was told she was a mottled ancona or something else mottled?

As you can tell I am pretty clueless about chicken breeds

Ancona! Cool - that's the black and white one. Your best layers will be the brown leghorn, the RIR, the Ancona and it depends on what the black ones are. The Giants are not the best layers, so let's hope sex-link, Australorp or Minorca. The Brown Leghorn, Ancona and Minorca will lay white eggs.

#1 is a brown leghorn or welsumer (sp?).

#2 could be a gold sex, I'm not sure. It is not a RIR as they are much darker than that chick.

#3 I don;t know

#4 is an EE

#5 & #6 could be black sex link or Australorp. The 2nd from the last pic is looking like it could be a little roo. Do I see red wattles already? If so then I would have to go with australorp.

Last edited:
Quote:
One is bigger, but may be older. We got them at different times (like 3 days apart, but both from Atwoods).

They looked a little different when they were younger, but they look pretty similar now. As chicks they guessed the bigger one as a BA or Jersey Giant and the other as a black sex link.)

Can you tell when they are grown. Does one lay better than the other. IF you had to choose 4 that laid well and added color to your flock. Which would you choose? (WE want to keep the gold one and the black and white one for sure), (We are also keeping two of the blue EE we have outside, if we have two pullets, we may only have 1)

1. Brown Leghorn
2. Could easily be a gold sex-link. Looks too light to be a production red.
3. Ancona
4. EE (note the muffs and greenish legs)
5. Either Jersey Giant or Australorp. The yellow on the feet indicates JG, but with hatchery birds that isn't always correct.

You'll be able to tell when they are grown - the Jersey Giant will get bitter than the others but will be the last to lay. They are not kept as layers because they eat so much and lay relatively little. As to which to keep, I can't decide that - the Brown Leghorn, Ancona and RIR will be great layers - but the Golden-Laced Wyandotte will be the most colorful (in my opinion) and will get lots of comments, but she won't be the best layer.

Back
Top Bottom