Older pullets/ Young hens laying soft shelled eggs

CrazedCowgirl

Chirping
Jan 17, 2016
Eugene Oregon
Hi!

I have a weird or maybe not so weird question. I have 6 hens, 2 of my 6 are laying. One has given me an egg everyday for the last week and my other one has given me two eggs. (all counts are as of today)

Today I found 2 very very soft shelled eggs, one from each hen. I found one in my yard where they free range and one in the nest box.

They were on chick starter until a couple days ago because I had to finish the bag but they still got free choice oyster shell and crushed egg shells along with grit. I've moved them to layer feed and still offer everything free choice like normal so when should their eggs normalize?

From my experience. It takes about a solid month to really normalize. some chickens lay odd shells occasionally their whole life. But usually the first week or so is really wonky then steadily getting better as it goes.

Agrees, it can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out.

Are they eating the oyster shell? Sometimes pullets don't get it and you may have to sprinkle a dozen pieces on top of feed tray to get them started.

What breed and how long laying?

Agrees, it can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out.

Are they eating the oyster shell? Sometimes pullets don't get it and you may have to sprinkle a dozen pieces on top of feed tray to get them started.

What breed and how long laying?

Looks like everyone eggs have gone back to normal.They eat the oyster shell but I've noticed they prefer crushed egg shells. I now have 4 of my 6 laying. My Blue Andy (6.5 months, started laying last Tuesday 7/12/16), one or possibly both of my Delawares (6 months, one's been laying since 7/09/16, the other started about 4 days ago), and believe it or not, I think my little Orp, Gracie, (who I was starting to think was a Roo) started laying yesterday.She has the cutest, tiniest, pinkest eggs. LOL

I have a SLW and a Dominique that have yet to lay about they're the same age as my Andy, 6.5 months.

I'm currently giving them a 50/50 split of Chick starter and Layer feed. I had just bought a new bag of chick starter and the local store won't take it back. I was hoping that the egg shells, plus free ranging, plus the layer feed would bring everything back to normal and it looks like it has!

Early days yet...one of my pullets laid softies on and off for several months.

I mix the crushed eggs shells in with the oyster shells in their own separate container.
Egg shells can help calcium needs, but oyster shells stay in the gizzard longer for better absorption.

Back
Top Bottom