Older Rooster

Leighnicki

Chirping
Feb 8, 2022
I have 2 Roosters. One is my original boy from when I first got chickens 3 years ago. This guy is no longer top dog, but he is my guy. Sweet and friendly. The younger bigger Roo chases him away from the flock and if he is not in coop early the younger makes it difficult for him to enter in evenings. Sometimes I stand between them to let my boy get where he wants to be. Is it safe for him to continue in this environment? There are 26 hens. In fall we had separation of hens while free ranging but since snow hit I noticed my older boy was the only one venturing out away from coop. He of course comes to see me or my treats. He comes to the door and crows over and over, assuming for his girls. Suggestions? Thank you

I find myself rooting for the old guy, although three isn't old. For a senior roo to abdicate to the younger roo while still in his prime, leads me to speculate he has a health issue making him not quite competitive enough to convince the younger roo that he's the boss and put the young upstart in his place.

The two have likely talked it out and there is an agreement between them that the younger roo will be dominant. While this would be simple enough to accept, it's troubling the older roo is being bullied to the outskirts of flock activity. This could indicate the older roo (this is where using names of the chickens avoids so many extra words) is not really quite on board with this. From this point on I will refer to the older roo as A and the younger as B, just for my own sanity.

I have two roosters currently, Strawberry the father and Toots the son. Strawberry took over all of the upbringing and training of Toots. They're now in the neighborhood of age six and four. Strawberry has periodically over the years reinforced his dominance over the Toots, and this is still their agreed upon relationship. It's the norm for the older roo to be dominant, and if my old guy was suddenly to switch roles with his son, I'd be concerned he was sick or injured and do a complete body exam.

This is what I suggest you do with A. Give him a good exam, head to toe looking for anything out of place. If you discover he's normal, then he may be suffering from bullying and he needs rehabilitation to get his self confidence back. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/ This may or may not be the best idea, though, because if A gets his self confidence back, he may go beat up B to also get his dominant role back.

Think it through. It's peaceful with things the way they are, but A may be depressed over the matter. Is it worth it for A to feel better about himself and risk conflict or would it maybe be better to let matters alone for the sake of peace? Your decision.

I find myself rooting for the old guy, although three isn't old. For a senior roo to abdicate to the younger roo while still in his prime, leads me to speculate he has a health issue making him not quite competitive enough to convince the younger roo that he's the boss and put the young upstart in his place.

The two have likely talked it out and there is an agreement between them that the younger roo will be dominant. While this would be simple enough to accept, it's troubling the older roo is being bullied to the outskirts of flock activity. This could indicate the older roo (this is where using names of the chickens avoids so many extra words) is not really quite on board with this. From this point on I will refer to the older roo as A and the younger as B, just for my own sanity.

I have two roosters currently, Strawberry the father and Toots the son. Strawberry took over all of the upbringing and training of Toots. They're now in the neighborhood of age six and four. Strawberry has periodically over the years reinforced his dominance over the Toots, and this is still their agreed upon relationship. It's the norm for the older roo to be dominant, and if my old guy was suddenly to switch roles with his son, I'd be concerned he was sick or injured and do a complete body exam.

This is what I suggest you do with A. Give him a good exam, head to toe looking for anything out of place. If you discover he's normal, then he may be suffering from bullying and he needs rehabilitation to get his self confidence back. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/ This may or may not be the best idea, though, because if A gets his self confidence back, he may go beat up B to also get his dominant role back.

Think it through. It's peaceful with things the way they are, but A may be depressed over the matter. Is it worth it for A to feel better about himself and risk conflict or would it maybe be better to let matters alone for the sake of peace? Your decision.
Yes thank you. They are also father Wrex and son Buddy. There was a third he found a new home. It was a very dramatic fight that incurred alot of bloodiness. Roo C found a new flock elsewhere! Wrex was removed for 48 hours so I could clean him up and check for Any major injuries. This created the role reversal. I believe Wrex while did okay added back to flock was not up to par yet to reassert his dominance therefore Buddy took over. Son definitely bigger and more aggressive than father. (I think my husband is a bit scared of him.) Although he never comes after us he will drawl blood with his bite when you catch him. So I generally do that. My hubby would likely ring his neck lol. I guess I will see what happens come spring. Hoping my hens will once again show more of a split between the 2 and the problem is just because of such close proximity they are holding by not wanting to snow walk.

Back
Top Bottom