Oldest eggs to incubate

halo

Got The Blues
14 Years
Nov 22, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find it. If you are hatching eggs from your own hens, how long can you leave them sit before putting them in the incubator? Rather than put in 5 or 6 eggs at a time, Id like to put a whole batch in for one hatching, but Im not sure how long I can safely hold eggs before incubating them. This isnt shipped eggs, this is my own eggs. Thanks.

Hi Kathy!
I *think* a lot of it depends on how the eggs are stored, whether they are turned while being stored, etc.
If you have somewhere you can keep them around 55 degrees, they should be viable longer than if they are stored at 70 degrees.

Here, I know if the eggs are older than 10 days, I can expect a % to be non-viable
(I tried to get away with setting every 2 weeks instead of weekly and it just didn't work. There was a large % of the older than 10-day-old eggs that wouldn't grow / got blood rings).

Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa
(only 2 days til I candle the blue Rock eggs!)

A hen will gather eggs for up to 2 weeks. I would think you can do and I have safely done 10 days without any problems stored in the right conditions.

Jody

Thanks you two. Im glad you 2 answered, I knew you guys would know. So I can safely keep for a week, and I should be okay. That works great for me.

Lisa, I cant wait! I just hatched out 9 of 10 eggs. Looks like I got a bunch of boys in this batch. Lisa, I must have sent you the girls!

Back
Top Bottom