Oldest eggs you've hatched?

I had one 'Sears Roebuck' round incubator as a kid. I would set a batch of eggs and start collecting for the next setting. Routinely it took 22 or 23 days between 'settings' including cleaning and disinfecting. Eggs were stored in a earthen cellar at around 60F and 60% or so humidity. My hatches were generally 85% or better.

What are the oldest eggs you've hatched? I currently have a batch in the incubator, 7 of which were a out 2 weeks old prior to going in for incubation.

I candled them today, and 6/7 had heveloped. Will have to see how many hatch.

Just curious if anyone has hatched older eggs successfully?
I notice this thread is in the "quail" section.

Are you asking specifically about quail eggs, or about eggs in general?

I had one 'Sears Roebuck' round incubator as a kid. I would set a batch of eggs and start collecting for the next setting. Routinely it took 22 or 23 days between 'settings' including cleaning and disinfecting. Eggs were stored in a earthen cellar at around 60F and 60% or so humidity. My hatches were generally 85% or better.
I too! It was a Brower incubator, sold by Sears & Roebuck!

They didn't develop the further away from 7 days at storage before incubating. Those that did develop, hatched and did fine. It seems to me that the germ cell degregrates rapidly! ...even if stored properly.
Interesting. 7 of the ones I set were probably close to 2 weeks old, 10 days at a minimum.... and 6/7 have developed. I am curious as to what will hatch.

Specifically quail, but really. Any eggs In general. May be a useful resource for others.
I've only done chicken eggs. The oldest ones that hatched were about two weeks old when I set them. Older eggs mostly did not develop, although I think there were a few between 2 and 3 weeks old that started to develop and then quit at some point.

Back
Top Bottom