1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oldtimer Laying Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeptrick, Oct 28, 2008.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I wanted to poll folks who've had/kept chickens for 10 years or more on how long their birds have laid...

My EE's are working on 2 years now [​IMG]

Different breeds laying duration would be nice to know!!

2. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

I have an 8 year old Australorp in my flock that still lays 4 eggs or more a week. She has survived a horrendous dog attack, storms, fire, etc....even during stress, but she puts em out....she's strong.

Other people practice culling every 2-4 years for production purposes, dependent upon the breed.

Tina/tfpets

I was raised with chickens, and have had my own chickens for over 12 years, but my oldest bird, who was 10 when he passed, was a Rooster!! Sorry!!

3. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    No apologies necessary...you completely answered my questions. I know most cull at 2-4 year intervals....I guess my post was vague. I wanted to know if others that decided not to cull; how long did their hens keep up their laying.
    Is that better?? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I have been at the chicken thing for 40+ years.
    As you know and depending on the breed their production drops after their 2nd year.
    I have one hen who is 8 and she still gives me an egg or two per week in Spring and Summer but stops around the first of September, at least I never see her in the nest boxes after August.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by