Oldtimer Laying Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeptrick, Oct 28, 2008.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I wanted to poll folks who've had/kept chickens for 10 years or more on how long their birds have laid...

My EE's are working on 2 years now [​IMG]

Different breeds laying duration would be nice to know!!

2. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

I have an 8 year old Australorp in my flock that still lays 4 eggs or more a week. She has survived a horrendous dog attack, storms, fire, etc....even during stress, but she puts em out....she's strong.

Other people practice culling every 2-4 years for production purposes, dependent upon the breed.

Tina/tfpets

I was raised with chickens, and have had my own chickens for over 12 years, but my oldest bird, who was 10 when he passed, was a Rooster!! Sorry!!

3. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    No apologies necessary...you completely answered my questions. I know most cull at 2-4 year intervals....I guess my post was vague. I wanted to know if others that decided not to cull; how long did their hens keep up their laying.
    Is that better?? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I have been at the chicken thing for 40+ years.
    As you know and depending on the breed their production drops after their 2nd year.
    I have one hen who is 8 and she still gives me an egg or two per week in Spring and Summer but stops around the first of September, at least I never see her in the nest boxes after August.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by