"Olive egger" egg color

ivyleechick

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2020
My pullets are just starting to lay and I had a suspicion that my Sapphire olive egger wasn't laying olive colored eggs. Today I watched her go into the chicken coop and continued to watch until she came out. I then went and checked the nesting box and found a warm pale brown egg (pictured here). My question is, is there a chance since she just started laying that her egg color will move closer to the olive color? I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but just hoping for a little color diversity in my brown egg basket 😊

Attachments

• 20200926_093418.jpg
    20200926_093418.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 5

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
There is always a chance that an Olive Egger will lay a brown egg. Depends on the breeds used to create it and what generation the hybrid is, F2 for example will lay darker olive green eggs, but have a higher chance of having birds that lay a brown egg instead (about 25%). :)
Sorry, the egg color will not change.
According to Hoover's Website (I just checked) their sapphire olive eggers have a 5% chance of laying a brown egg, looks like you got one of those.:)

Last edited:

ivyleechick

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2020
The hatchery sold her to me for her olive eggs because the Easter egger chicks wouldn't be ready for my ship date. The olive eggers weren't listed as a type of chick that they sold, so I didn't do any research on them prior to purchasing her. I am grateful for the eggs, just a little disappointed that they aren't olive colored. Thank you for all of your helpful information.

Top Bottom