"Olive egger" egg color

ivyleechick

Chirping
Jul 2, 2020
My pullets are just starting to lay and I had a suspicion that my Sapphire olive egger wasn't laying olive colored eggs. Today I watched her go into the chicken coop and continued to watch until she came out. I then went and checked the nesting box and found a warm pale brown egg (pictured here). My question is, is there a chance since she just started laying that her egg color will move closer to the olive color? I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but just hoping for a little color diversity in my brown egg basket 😊

Attachments

• 20200926_093418.jpg
    20200926_093418.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 11
There is always a chance that an Olive Egger will lay a brown egg. Depends on the breeds used to create it and what generation the hybrid is, F2 for example will lay darker olive green eggs, but have a higher chance of having birds that lay a brown egg instead (about 25%). :)
Sorry, the egg color will not change.
According to Hoover's Website (I just checked) their sapphire olive eggers have a 5% chance of laying a brown egg, looks like you got one of those.:)

Last edited:
The hatchery sold her to me for her olive eggs because the Easter egger chicks wouldn't be ready for my ship date. The olive eggers weren't listed as a type of chick that they sold, so I didn't do any research on them prior to purchasing her. I am grateful for the eggs, just a little disappointed that they aren't olive colored. Thank you for all of your helpful information.

Back
Top Bottom