Olive Egger vs. Black Copper Maran chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sarahandbray, Sep 26, 2014.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    Can someone remind me how to tell the difference between my Olive Eggers and my Black Copper Marans at 5 weeks? They are all black with fluffy legs--and I "think" I can tell the fluffy-ish cheeks on the Olive Eggers but I'm not 100% positive.
    Got them from Chicken Scratch Poultry with leg bands on to tell the Olive Eggers from the BCM's but I had to take them off on week 1.

Any help or descriptive differences would be great! Thanks! I can post pics too--just not home at the moment.

Sarah

2. Catsundchickens

Catsundchickens New Egg

Jun 1, 2014
    Lower Hudson Valley NY
    I received 3 Olive Eggers in early July from Meyer Hatchery. I also received Marans from a different source. All three of my all of OEs have little bits of white banding an otherwise dark feathers. One has leg feathers. 2 have "hats." I don't know if they differ between breeders and hatcheries as they are my first but here's a photo so at least you can see what my look like they were very obviously different than my black copper Marans, my blue copper Marans and my blue/ splash Marans.hope this helped! They have not begun to egg yet . Sorry for typos. Bad Siri! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by