Olive Eggers..8 weeks Boys or Girls?

TheSheriffswife

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
Baldwinsville NY
Hi Guys..
I am starting to see some differences in my 8 week olds, especially the Lav. Orps..But these Olive Eggers have me a bit puzzled.. One (not pictured) I am almost certain is a Roo..I hatched them all on March 26th It's neat too with those OE's I hatched 5 and some take after the Maran side, some look more Ameracauna..

Just wondering if you all could give them a look and a guess for me? I have to start figuring out how many boys I actually have..
sad.png

Thanks so much!

Deb

Olive Egger #1 (1/2 French Copper Maran 1/2 Ameracauna)

76733_img-20110523-00126.jpg

76733_img-20110523-00190.jpg

76733_img-20110523-00191.jpg

Olive Egger # 2

76733_img-20110523-00149.jpg

76733_img-20110523-00146.jpg

76733_img-20110523-00143.jpg

2 More views...

76733_img-20110523-00145.jpg

76733_img-20110523-00187.jpg

Last edited:
the first one is a total roo and Im sorry to say will not be an olive egger-it has a straight comb=brown egg. I know I have them.

2nd one hen:) with a pea comb=olive egger
woot.gif

Quote:
Hi
big_smile.png

Yeah I knew about the Straight vs. Pea and the egg color..I call the chickens Olive Eggers I guess I don't know what else to call em? Since I bought Olive Eggs and hatched Olive Eggs..Is there another name other than Mutt LOL !

And Wow! I had the first one pegged as hen like (body type) and the other roo ish but I am a total newbie..that's why I ask you guys
wink.png

Thanks for the input!

Deb

Quote:
Also, can you help me understand how you can tell she is a hen? And I am thrilled by the way!! Are you able to see the comb well enough? Or is it the body?
I need to learn this stuff
Thanks!

Quote:
Also, can you help me understand how you can tell she is a hen? And I am thrilled by the way!! Are you able to see the comb well enough? Or is it the body?
Thanks!

well....I couldnt see the comb very well but her body says pullet to me--WAIT!!! DID YOU JUST ADD MORE PHOTOS ???
barnie.gif
nope its a roo not a hen!
hit.gif
Im sorry... that pea comb is very pronounced and red at 8 weeks old and then I saw the legs in the new photo--those are some tree trunks:( I dont see saddle feathers yet so I "could" be wrong but I dont think so
hide.gif

Quote:
Hi
big_smile.png

Yeah I knew about the Straight vs. Pea and the egg color..I call the chickens Olive Eggers I guess I don't know what else to call em? Since I bought Olive Eggs and hatched Olive Eggs..Is there another name other than Mutt LOL !

And Wow! I had the first one pegged as hen like (body type) and the other roo ish but I am a total newbie..that's why I ask you guys
wink.png

Thanks for the input!

Deb

no other name but mutt really:( the OE's are considered EE's really but since they produce olive colored eggs we call them olive eggers:)

Quote:
Thanks!

well....I couldnt see the comb very well but her body says pullet to me--WAIT!!! DID YOU JUST ADD MORE PHOTOS ???
barnie.gif
hit.gif
Im sorry... that pea comb is very pronounced and red at 8 weeks old and then I saw the legs in the new photo--those are some tree trunks:( I dont see saddle feathers yet so I "could" be wrong but I dont think so
hide.gif

ep.gif
Uh Boy oh boys!!! So out of 5 Olive eggs three more than likely boys then .. I think 2 pullets 1 pea 1 straight..

I think I am gonna keep this big handsome fella
ya.gif
..what do you think? I named him Beetlejuice
droolin.gif
He seems very alert and protective..He has the Pea comb so would that mean he along with a Pea combed OE Pullet would produce some more OE's?

76733_beetlejuice_and_his_girls.jpg

76733_img-20110522-00089.jpg

76733_img-20110523-00188.jpg

Quote:
barnie.gif
hit.gif
hide.gif

ep.gif
Uh Boy oh boys!!! So out of 5 Olive eggs three more than likely boys then .. I think 2 pullets 1 pea 1 straight..

ya.gif
droolin.gif
He seems very alert and protective..He has the Pea comb so would that mean he along with a Pea combed OE Pullet would produce some more OE's?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/76733_beetlejuice_and_his_girls.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/76733_img-20110522-00089.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/76733_img-20110523-00188.jpg

Ok I feel like a bubble buster tonight:( OE X OE will produce brown eggers:( Keep him (beetlejuice) and breed with your straight combed girl=OE's
smile.png

Keep your straight combed roo over your pea comb pullet=OE You have to go back and forth to continue the colors of OE's

Quote:
ep.gif

ya.gif
droolin.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/76733_beetlejuice_and_his_girls.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/76733_img-20110522-00089.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/76733_img-20110523-00188.jpg

Ok I feel like a bubble buster tonight:( OE X OE will produce brown eggers:( Keep him (beetlejuice) and breed with your straight combed girl=OE's
smile.png

Keep your straight combed roo over your pea comb pullet=OE You have to go back and forth to continue the colors of OE's

Noooo LOL You are not a bubble buster! Haaaa I want to learn and you are very helpful Thank You! Luckily I have several of both! I have boys, girls straight & pea..

So Hmmm I will have to think this thru..Thank you again!! It will be hard to part with any of them I love them all but I don't want to keep a lot of Roo's
But I love the hatching experience so much..I had a horrible shipped chick experience from MPC so never again! I will breed my own eggs..

I do have two beautiful boys that I haatched out of 4 Lavender Orp eggs from a breeder I will sadly have to re-home..they are lovely, sweet and calm..I am in Syracuse NY so if you know of anyone that is looking..I will rehome to a good home only..(no food use etc) Where should I post an ad to get the best results and folks? any tips?

76733_img-20110522-00057.jpg

76733_img-20110522-00056.jpg

76733_img-20110523-00173.jpg

Back
Top Bottom