Olive Eggers explained...??

ev-chicka

Chirping
May 21, 2019
Can anyone explain in simple terms some of the basics of olive Eggers genetics? More specifically, what generations or crosses are most likely to create the highest chance of olive eggs?

I thought that F1 olive Eggers (dark egg x blue egg) would always produce green/olive eggs, although perhaps on the light side. To get a darker green you breed the F1 back to a dark egg layer. But I thought this cross has some chance of creating a brown layer instead of olive. Then I read this and now I’m all confused.

From mypetchicken.com:
“Though the plumage on this cross varies, 95% of our Olive Eggers will lay an olive-shade egg, varying from lighter olive to very dark "army green." For genetics lovers, the reason for that is our flock is a combination of F1s and F2s. F1s have a 1/16th chance of laying a brown egg instead of an olive egg, and F2s have nearly a 100% chance of laying olive eggs.”

And what can the results be of crossing olive Egger with olive egger? Always olive or all different colours?

TIA!!

upload_2019-8-14_21-57-19.png
upload_2019-8-14_21-57-19.png

does this explain anything even a little better

View attachment 1878366View attachment 1878366

does this explain anything even a little better

Thanks! I’ve seen this… And it makes sense… But that’s why the quote from mypetchicken.com threw me off because it’s saying that F1 olive Eggers can throw brown eggs and that crossing F1/F2/F3 always throws green… Which this poster would claim the opposite I think...

you have to remember, My Pet Chicken is trying to sell you birds that lay fun colors. They want you to buy... so they do a little bit of bait and switch. Things you have to look out for in a sales environment.

Hmm ya very true! I’m in Canada so not buying from there. And I guess not a good place to go for breeding/genetic info. Thanks for the tips!!

I wouldn't believe anything you read from mypetchicken. Like said they're in the business of selling chicks and there site is full of incorrect info just like what you found.
There 1/16th doesn't add up in any way and the F2s nearly 100% is way off.
F1s from a pure blue egg layer crossed with a dark brown layer will give you 100% green eggers. Now if they're olive or not will depend on how dark of brown the parent stock laid as well as you idea of olive.
Crossing the F1s back to a dark brown layer will produce a 50% chance of brown egg layer and 50% chance of green/olive layers.

Back
Top Bottom