Olive Eggers explained...??

I wouldn't believe anything you read from mypetchicken. Like said they're in the business of selling chicks and there site is full of incorrect info just like what you found.
There 1/16th doesn't add up in any way and the F2s nearly 100% is way off.
F1s from a pure blue egg layer crossed with a dark brown layer will give you 100% green eggers. Now if they're olive or not will depend on how dark of brown the parent stock laid as well as you idea of olive.
Crossing the F1s back to a dark brown layer will produce a 50% chance of brown egg layer and 50% chance of green/olive layers.

Thank you! That’s exactly what I thought and then got confused by that site. Mine are F1s so will be green for sure just not sure how dark. The hen was Marans and roo wheaten ameraucana so maybe not very “olive” since I’ve heard it’s better for the roo to be the dark layer. Either way the anticipation is killer;)

Hi ev-chicka,

here's a link to a very good, accurate chart for olive eggers:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fW...SJRxk325fdhmrFzM3jY3Xd-SVQ4pDqsqLBPmMy3r5ijhA

My first olive egger cross is a blue ameraucana over a wheaten marans hen - only two babies right now but more going in the incubator soon! It's going to feel like forever waiting for them to get to laying age... assuming one turns out to be a hen anyway :fl

I have heard the same as you, that it's better to get the brown genes from the cock for a darker olive, but I'll probably be happy with just about any shade of green.

Back
Top Bottom