Omaha Ne Permit DENIED

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by nebraskaclucker, Jan 15, 2010.

1. nebraskaclucker

nebraskaclucker New Egg

Dec 24, 2009
    I applied for a permit to have chickens and also to have a single bee hive. I had been denied over the phone for the bees because i was not in an agricultural zoned area. I had a home inspection today for the chickens @ 1:30 pm. around 10:00 am i called in the health department to see if they would reconsider the bee hive denial based off my research of Omaha City Ordinance Article II sec. 18-18 stating that UNLESS you live in an Ag. Zoned area you must apply for a permit and have 25 ft of clearance in all directions OR have a 6ft fence.. I have both. Call went well so i thought and was told they would do both inspections at 1:30... 45 minutes later the person incharge of authorization called and said he went to city hall pulled my home owners assoc. guideliness (since expired on aug 27th 2007) and told me both inspections would be denied.... the inspector also stated that chickens would excape through the 3 inch slots around my fence.... really after proving my ability to have chickens the final word was NO... they said that its not fair to my neighbors since I live in a nice neighborhood and people pay good money to live in a area like this to get away from people like that! WOW I am mad!

2. srhcth

srhcth Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so sorry that your permits got denied. I sure am glad I live in the country. Don't give up.

3. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    so sorry.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:I would call back and ask them "people like WHAT exactly" because if they are being descriminatory, they can hear from your attorney next time, instead of you. If they want to play a-hole hardball, play back! [​IMG]

5. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    You need to talk to your city councilor, be absolutely certain that you show that person the results of the inspection, the expired HA records with the fact it has expired clearly pointed out to the person, find out who actuality denied the application and find out precisely the reason for the denial and if that person also lives in the same HA area.

Ask for information about the next step in the appeals process. Because if the permit was improperly denied you should take it to the mat, be certain to get the media involved.

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

^PERFECT and see if you can't find out exactly who (if you didn't get their name before) it was that said 'people like you'... not all folks at city hall are cranky/judgey, so make sure if the anvil drops that it's landing only on the coyote and not the roadrunner too. *meep meep*

7. nebraskaclucker

nebraskaclucker New Egg

Dec 24, 2009
    Thanks for the concern all! I just spoke with the Director of the Environmental Health Department (the branch that is incharge of these things) and he seemed to be more calm and understanding and said that they would inform me on tues. whether or not I was denied and that my verbal deny was not valid. He did state that the two men I spoke to earlier would be the ones deciding but that he would keep it on his radar... not the perfect answer but enough for me not to vomit the enitre weekend because of a series of ignorant comments and the unsettling fact that the douglas county health department has a unreasonable opinion regarding backyard chicken/beekeeping!

I'll keep yall posted! might need to vent again or cheer maybe rally the troops! have a great weekend!

8. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I'm not saying that it is right but if it were me I would wait a little while to let the dust settle and the I would go ahead and get some chickens. You said that you have a 6' fence so no should be able to see over that into your yard. If you just get 4 or 5 they shouldn't make a lot of noise. I've heard that there are some breeds that are quieter than others I'm not sure what they are though. I am sure you could do a search on BYC or just ask and someone will be able to tell you. Just be sure not to get a ROOSTER!!!

9. nebraskaclucker

nebraskaclucker New Egg

Dec 24, 2009
    yeah I am really tempted to go that route but would much rather have the peace of mind to let my girls lounge around the yard and not give a care about any possible issues... sometimes forgiveness is easier than permission but rarely with the law [​IMG]

The director of the department said I'd have my answer tomorrow so we'll see. can't believe this is such a hassle, so many misconceptions and ignorant opinions... glad to see such progress in the midwest.

"I have a dream that one day cities and chickens will united..."

10. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Hey nebraskaclucker did you get an answer yet? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by