Omak Chicken Coop by Dave

DaveOmak

Songster
6 Years
May 18, 2013
Omak, Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Thanks for looking at my coop build..... any critiques are welcome... I need all the help I can get.....
Since before I joined the forum, I had wanted to raise chickens... Finding this forum, has made the decision easier to start the build..... thanks for all who contributed with their well thought out ideas....

The pics didn't come out in the order I was hoping, so I'll live with it......

The coop is 8 x 4.... Wall height is 5-6 and 6-0... sloped.....

Here is the door..... when OSB springs, you need to compensate for the door not fitting.....
Here is my solution.... 2x2 secured by the latch and pulled in at the ends by using 3" screws...

........ click on pics to enlarge .......

Door end and latch, and chain to keep the wind from ripping the door off.....

Nest box side... still trying to figure out the optimum size.... I'm planning on Light Brahma's for broody hens.... .boxes will go somewhere where the red line is.....

Interior with roost, poop board and pop door in the floor..... the pop door will be open 24/7 as the base will be enclosed with stout wire, sides and floor.... Feed and water will be in the "run" under the coop... Several folks have mentioned to not have water and feed inside the coop.... Nest boxes on the outside of the wall on the right..... Lids will open for egg access and all the other duties,,,,

Roost down

Roost up

This end will adjoin the run when built... the ramp will be open for use 24/7.... food and water will be available where the ramp is under the coop.....

This side is reinforced for my tractor to pick it up using the forks... I'm planning on an insulated water cooler on the left with submersible heater and pump.... the pump will push heated water down the water line to nipple waterers under the coop..... Feed storage on the right...

Man door access with more storage on the left....

Still working on ventilation ... around the perimeter of the walls in about 5.5 sq. ft. of ventilation.. between the top of the walls and the purlins.....

Suggestions welcome..... Dave

Last edited:
Here is an update..... It's slow going with all the "Spring" stuff to do.... got my chickens ordered from JustFowlingAround.... they are in Brewster.... Pick up date August 1st.... If I knew what I was doing, this would go a lot faster.....

Window in the door.... has a screen on the inside secured with lath and staples.... On the outside, a slot for a glass window to drop in during cold weather, maybe....

Interior shot of the Nest Box entries.... I think I need some sort of "roost" board for the hens to land on to enter the boxes....
The large opening is a "communal" nest... I have read on here they seem to work well...
The small opening is "supposedly" a 'Broody" nest box.... We will see what happens... don't know if that's a good plan or not....

Nest boxes from the outside..... The shelf above the communal box is for storage of "stuff"... If you enlarge the pics, you will see I ran out of paint...

The ramp to the roost area....

Vent screening... the soffits are open all around the roof......

Finish painting..... Install more air venting.... Auto watering system..... Auto Feeders....

Any suggestions would be gladly accepted.....

Painted and waiting for hinges..... at least I can start on the run soon.... and elec.... and water system....

Levelled and getting close.... OH.... I poured the Sweet PDZ on the poop board today....

A few more air vents..... Still trying to decide the best places to put them..... probably 18-24" above the floor..... somewhere......

MY CHICKEN TRACTOR HAHAHAHAHA

Getting closer...... The tree that will be pruned in a few days.... Waiting for my neighbor and his Tele-Handler to use as a work platform...

Here is the addition... storage and nest area....

The community nesting box.....

The Broody nesting area......

Storage above the Community Nesting Area....

Once the tree is trimmed, I will start on the run........

After many strolls around the coop with chin on fist.... or was it with an ice cold beer in hand..... I finally figured out how to build the run.... my way...... As you may see, the entire coop "floats"..... cement blocks under the coop and treated boards under the run supports.....
My philosophy, when I build stuff is..... (It's temporarily permanent)......

Now for the roof and support system...... The 2x6 main joists/rafters are 6' apart..... the 2x4x12' perlins are ~24" OC..... That should give me a cantilevered support system where there is only 3' of perlins supporting snow etc..... NO PROBLEMS.........
In the ditch is where the treated 2x4 go as a foundation with ripped 2x6 for walls..... vertical ripped 2x6 will be ~24" OC to match the perlins.... and hold down the foundation, under load.... cross "ties" will run from the vertical "trees" to the walls for side support.... and act as "day" roosts......

That is an awesome build you have going on there. I am build as well, but you seem to have the construction thing down. I really like how you have laid things out and the nice touches in your fit and finish. The trenches look to be a lot of work, and many would pretend not to do that part, you will be much happier down the road by doing as much right the first time, as possible. Heck, I even like blue, so most of what you are doing works for me.

Anyway nice build, good planing, construction coming along nicely, you will be happy with your outfit.

RJ

RJ morning, Thanks for the compliments..... It's pretty much an "AS BUILT"..... I tried drawing plans but stuff changed daily.... I built the floor on legs with a rim joist.... then added cross members for floor support.... then screwed the floor down..... Then I figured I'd overlap the walls on the rim joist..... and it went on from there.... basically no framing... well, space frame I guess.... I get one part done satisfactorily, and think for days, or weeks what and how to do what next.....

The blue was a paint mistake..... We picked a color based on paint swatches.... WRONG.... they don't come close so..... the chickens get it...

I am running out of time..... gotta get my stuff together....

Looking great! I like the color.

You might want to think about adding a few more windows.

This is the locks we use on our coop. Raccoons are really good with opening locks. Not sure your are safe enough. How many chickens are you going to have?

Your house is so much like the one I'm just finishing. Doing mine from mostly re-purpose materials. I used a 4'X8" pallet with bolted on stilts. Same overall shape & roof line. The differences are my access door is middle of the long side, so I can reach almost everything from there to clean up. On the 4' side I have 3 swing up doors, The bottom is access to food & water. Middle door is 3 nest boxes, & top door is storage that has chicken wire on the inside to keep the birds out. The other4' end is the chicken door. Just like you, I built it one day at a time, & changed my mind every day. Except I don't have pictures... Jim

Back
Top Bottom