Omega 3

poppy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Buckinghamshire, England
I have been told that by feeding sunflower hearts to my hens that the eggs will be enriched with omega 3. Does anyone have any idea how much to give them per bird?

Last edited:
I think commercially, feeding flax seed is what they use to increase omega 3 in eggs.

However, it is my belief that if you just ate the flax seeds yourself, you would get way more omega 3 and health benefit than from passing it though to the egg where much can be lost in the process.

Mammals can't make fatty acids below omega 9, so we have to eat them. I don't think birds can synthesize it either.

silkie is right. Here is a link I will provide for egg info
smile.png

http://www.healthcastle.com/egg.shtml

quoting part of the link

"Omega 3 enhanced eggs are from hens fed a diet flax seed or fish oils. Omega 3 enhanced eggs contain more omega 3 fatty acids and Vitamin E than the regular eggs. An independent test conducted by the CBC's TV show Marketplace found that omega-3 enhanced eggs contain approximately 7 times more omega 3 fatty acids than regular white eggs."

I have a 40 pound bag of flax seed that I mix in with the horses' feed. I try to give it to the chickens, but they really don't seem to like it. (Maybe they just get too many goodies- sunflower seeds, corn for warmth, crimped oats, spaghetti...).

I agree- just eat the flax seeds!

Back
Top Bottom